1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TRB6JP vs TRBJP2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kevcooke, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Yamaha TRB6JP

20 vote(s)
    40.8%
  2. Yamaha TRBJP2

29 vote(s)
    59.2%
  1. Well, seeing as I still have time to think about it... Which is 'better' and what are your reasons for saying so?

If any of you own one or the other, please post pics and maybe a mini-review/ in depth review (if you have the time)

2. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    Strange there is no replys ..
    Well , i can say one thing , the JP is on of the best instruments ive ever played.
    Its amazing built , it has a wonderful tone , yet very versatile.
    Its an amazing instrument , built for playing.

3. I agree - strange. I assume you mean the original JP?

Thanks for taking the time to reply

4. 15 votes but still no pics? Shocking...!!

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Got to go with the original. 34" scale feels so good, 35" scale seems to stifle my creativity!

6. Like I said on MSN, im used to it :smug: However, the original must feel like a breeze to play now I'm so used to 35" scale...

I PMed one guy on here who said the 6JP is more versatile due to it's electronics, but I'm more interested in knowing how solid sounding the two are before the EQ is even touched. Can anyone comment on this?

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Of course Kev, I just wanted to contribute to your thread!

But if you're feeling comfy on the 35" scale bass, just imagine how it would feel pulling off those silky Patitucci lines on a 34" scale bass (not that I'm biased against 35" scale basses or anything, Kev :ninja: )

8. guidedbassman

guidedbassman

Nov 21, 2006
    malone ny
    For me i owned one of the TRB6P which what Patitucci's frist JP was made after it was the best bass i have ever seen played and heard I hate myself everyday for selling her. The neck through was great great tone for everything jazz to hard rock she was a monster . "and she will always be missed "

john

9. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    Ive owned a TRB6JP the original version,it was in a grey/blue colour,and iv'e owned a TRB6 11,BUT,the best of them is my current TRB6-P,this has so much more tone then the other two,it also had the addition of Sims led's which the last owner had done,i wasn't to sure about the light at first,but it's quite useful,cheers.:hyper:

Attached Files:

10. guidedbassman

guidedbassman

Nov 21, 2006
    malone ny
    Sweet bass cutty mine was the teal green one i loved that color but the red burst is sweet.

11. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I would have to neither is better. They are both really friggin awesome instruments, but they differ in the fact that one is bolt on and the other is neck through. It all comes down to the sound you like. Having said that I recently sold my original early 90's TRB-6P and it is one of the best trb's I have ever played... go figure.

12. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    i voted for the jp2 just because you said you're comfy on the 35" and I hear it's supposed to have improved electronics.

13. I think some of you guys are mistaken - neither of the Patitucci basses were thru-neck? Or am I mistaken?

14. kazamamaster

kazamamaster

Sep 15, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    No neither of the two were neck through..

However, the with the string spacing on both models, I'll be the first to say, even the 34" scale JP model felt like one of the biggest basses I've ever tried to play. I can't even imagine how big the 35" might feel..

15. Hi there,

You bought this from The Gallery. right ??

If so that was my bass at one time, it sure is a great instrument :)

Cheers

Nick

16. Hmm, contemplating: how much would it cost roughly for a custom shop yamaha like the JP2 but thru-neck and with piezos?

17. rbolanos

rbolanos

Apr 13, 2006
    Ontario,Canada
  18. Bassist CK

Bassist CK

Sep 27, 2007
    Cyprus / Nicosia
    GrandMaster Custom Basses Endorsing Artist : Cahit KUTRAFALI
    I m using JP2 for nearly 5 years and I can say that it is one of the best bass I ve ever played...

35'' scale,fast neck,good choice of woods (ash,alder with quilted mapple top and ebony fingerboard),developed preamp with powerful mids,also I love the string spacing on the bridge ...
    I never played on JPI so it is not fair to make comparison between these basses but my vote is gone to JP2 for now...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]