Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TRB6P, Floppy B?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TVBBass, Jan 2, 2005.

1. I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on the tension of the B on the TRB6P (early 90's 34" scale model) I own a 35" scale Yamaha RBX775 (the best RBX) and know someone selling a TRB6P but I'm concerned that the B may be floppy due to the 34" scale (but cannot test the bass since it's not in this contry - I either ship it and buy it or leave the bargin).

I love the Yamaha feel and after getting a Warwick Streamer LX 6 string fretless last summer have decided to upgrade my fretted bass to a 6 string modle (preferable neck thru). (I would love a 6 String Warwick fretted but alas money is not on my side, as a student)
    I know that B tension is not entierly Scale length related, Build quality and setup are as important(My Streamer is 34" but being warwick is very well made so no flop)
    So who's tried a TRB6P (not mark II)? Let me know what you have experienced.

TVBBass
    (N.B. duplicate of unanswered thread in TRB5P Bliss thread)

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    String tension has a lot to do with string gauge. A thicker string will have higher tension than a thinner string.

3. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I seem to have the same problem with my early 90's TRB6-P. I use elixirs on it which I convinced is where the root of the problem lies. I use 40-95 d'addario's on my other trb which is also 34" and the strings have a nice feel and tension to them. They are a lighter guage than the elixirs, yet are a whole lot tighter and sound miles better to my ears.

But other than all that, I love the bass. Sure, It may be orange with a flame maple top (can you say king prawn?) and for some crazy reason they decided that a rosewood headstock veneer would match perfectly with the rest of the bass, but the neck feels great, and the fingerboard is flat as a wall, which I also happen to like, and I find it and other TRB's to be the most pleasing to the eye out of any bass I have laid eyes on. I really do love the aesthetic design of these basses. One thing, or maybe 2, the stock preamp is poo. I hate, so much so that I will be dropping a 3 band bartolini preamp in it. Also, after 3 hour long sets, the slight neck dive really amplifies how heavy this beast really is, and you need one VERY wide and VERY padded strap. Heavy bass. But sexy.

4. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The old 1994 Yamaha catalog I just tossed lists the TRP6P as a 33 7/8" scale length.

5. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    I played a TRB6P (early 90's)for 9 years and never had a complaint about the B string. I generally used a .130. But when i used a .125 it worked good. Most of the time I used D'addario XL's. The best strings I found were the Fodera Stainless Steel Diamonds. they made that bass sound killer.

I say that to say that the B string shouldn't present you with any problems. Scale legnth alone doesn't determine the tone of the B string. B Easy

Myron

6. I use 130-30s on my TRB6.