Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TRBJP Preamp Dilemma

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jermng, Mar 29, 2005.

1. jermng

jermng

May 6, 2002
    Singapore
    My bass tech killed the preamp on my beloved Yamaha TRBJP!!
    To his credit, he immediately offered to pay me back for the cost of a new preamp from Yamaha. In the mean time, the bass is wired passive just so I can use it before a new preamp comes.

Here's the dilemma, I can either go out and get e stock Yamaha preamp or get something like the U-retro which I would assume is an upgrade to the bass. I love the tone of the bass even now when it's passive but I just miss the option of boosting the mids or bass when the soundman's outside having a smoke or when the guitarist decides to pump his distortion into the sky.

Can anyone offer suggestions? On the one hand, the U-retro sounds great and the mid sweep function gives me more options, but it's way more expensive. The yamaha is much cheaper but doesn't have a mid-sweep and gain control for mids without opening the cavity and it also presents the problem of noise. I've heard also that the Yamaha's give the JP it's sound, but the sound on the bass when passive sounds just as good - I think it's more of the wood that gives the sound.

Well, so here you have it. What would you do if you were in my shoes? =)

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Jeremy

2. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    A week ago I put an Aguilar OBP-3 in my TRB-6P. I seriously reccomend it. It is a very cool preamp. I configured mine to bass boost only and if I had to choose only one mid option, I would set it to 800Hz. Cutting that gives such an awesome slap sound. But yes, The Aguilar compliments the bass very nicely. And it's much cheaper than the retro. I think Yamaha pre's are ok, but an Aguilar would be much better. I am so happy with mine!

3. I experienced both of Yamaha JP models and did not really impressed when comparing to the new TRB 6P. I don't think that they made the tone as JP's desire but it was the basic for TRB II that time. I could be wrong since I never open the back plate of any JP, just played them but on the NE model which I owned, has the pre-set mid with adjustment pots inside for personel taste.
    If you like to replace on-board pre amps and the Yamaha guy is involve, I would propose you to go for TRB 6P model. You will need to make additional hole for one of the mid control and the space in cavity is OK too. This way you will have a versitile EQ and Yamaha's OEM.

4. blaire

blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    Just get the money for the yammy preamp from the soundguy and then add some more of your own and buy an awesome new preamp.

5. jermng

jermng

May 6, 2002
    Singapore
    Got the money already. Just need to decide whether to go for another preamp, and if so, which one. =)

6. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I like the Aguilars a lot, and I like the Easts. The east does have some options which are really sweet, the bright swtich, mid control and tone control. But, you could probably 'do' with an OBP-3 and still be a really freakin happy camper.

7. I had a JP for a while. I really liked the bass but absolutely hated the preamp. I originally intended to keep the JP and install an OBP-3 but found an FNA Jazzman that I didn't think I could live without and traded it in. I do think the Aggie would be a good preamp for it though, especially with the mid-select switch. I had one put in my Thumb and it made a world of difference. I can get so many more useful tonal variations with it now, and Thumbs really aren't known for their versatility.