1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trbx 505...did I get a lemon?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bassnninja, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Bassnninja

Bassnninja

Jan 5, 2018
    Texas
    So I got one today.

Sounds fine.
    Problem is the fretboard.

Buzzing frets 10 - 15 G string, 3 through 6 G string.
    The guitar tech at sam ash noticed that the frets were not the same heights. He went to ajusting on it, mallet, pulling and glueing...straight edging it...the damn thing would rock it was bad.

We both comented this typically doesnt happen with yamaha. They typically have really good QC.

Thought he had it. Adjusted the action and the relief, checked it again.
    I took it home restrung it.
    The fret buzz was back.

A new fret buzz at the first fret on the A string has shown up as well.

I have never bought a bass with these problems off the bat.
    I really like the tone of the bass. It was the only one in stock. They are out of stock EVERYWHERE In the area.

Im just worried about what will develop over time. Im worried Il never get the action to where I want it which is pretty low.

Any recomendations?

2. Send it back

fakeneckplate'65 likes this.
  3. VerryBerry

VerryBerry Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    About a month ago I ordered one of the newly announced Yamaha TRB604s, and it arrived within a week. Looked gorgeous, but a lot of terrible buzzing that could only be partially tamed by adjusting relief and action way out of what I would tolerate. Pretty disappointing, considering that I had, at one time, owned a BB1024 which had superb workmanship. I returned the 604.

Figured OK, that's enough. For my next bass, I will only buy what I can try. Unfortunately for me, I tried a Fender American Elite, and I couldn't leave it at the store. :)

4. Bassnninja

Bassnninja

Jan 5, 2018
    Texas
    Ok...I will take it back...
    Damn hour drive.

I should have left it there ever fiber in me said leave it...wait.
    Ohh well...

Pisses me off because of my GC thread, now this.

5. Bassnninja

Bassnninja

Jan 5, 2018
    Texas
    Would calling yamaha do anygood?

6. VerryBerry

VerryBerry Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    That is an option. I've never had any contact with them, so I can't say how agreeable they may or not be to work with you. You'd still have to make any swapping of basses (or necks) happen at the retailer.

Worth a try feeling them out over the phone, I guess. You might also start a process that may take longer than you want. Might be more cut-and-dried getting a refund and then taking your time looking for your next bass. That's probably what I'd do.

7. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    If you used anything other than the same type/gauge of string, did you do another setup?

8. Bassnninja

Bassnninja

Jan 5, 2018
    Texas
    Same gauge.

Just called yamaha. The CS there, like everywhere else is a joke.
    A lot of sorries, figure it out yourself.

Sam ash said bring it back, the guitar guy there is trying to find me a new in the box one from another store.

bobdabilder likes this.
  9. I've had good luck with samash. Good for them.