Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Treacle: What got you started on bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 4StringFox, Jan 9, 2004.

1. (In celebration of my beautiful new bass, I have decided to emerge from the lurking depths and post a real thread! Hi everybody)

What got you started playing bass? Did you try it on your own, or did someone encourage you? Is there anyone out there who "always wanted" to play bass? What other training or skills did you have before you started?

I've had very little formal music training, but I've got about 10 years experience in choirs and musical theater, enough to get around sheet music and talk the talk some. In my early teens I tried guitar and piano, both on my own and with lessons, and it always seemed like I was struggling really hard and making no progress at all. I decided maybe I wasn't cut out for instruments and had better stick to singing.
    Then, this past September, I was hanging out with my good friend Julie, who plays "everything." Conversation went as such:
    Me: I'm bored.
    Julie: Me too.
    Me: Teach me something.
    Julie: Ok. [drops bass in my lap] Play this.

She's been coaching me ever since, and it's been a totally different experience -- playing bass feels natural, not like a struggle at all, and the more time I spend with it the more excited I get about it. Even if I never join a band or play a gig, I'm hooked for good.

So that's my story -- those of you who are still awake, what's yours?

2. the great one

the great one

Jan 25, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ever since I could talk I always asked my parents to buy me a bass guitar, but they never did. Four years ago I took my scholarship money and bought myself a Squier P-Bass and taught myself to play it. It was fairly easy to learn since I have rhythm in my blood - African

3. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I woke up one morning (about 10 years ago) and decided that I wanted to play bass. Before this I had never considered playing an instrument. Since then, it has been years of low-end happiness. :)

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    My dad played guitar.....he tried teaching me that! It was fun and I still play a bit. Then I dicovered my late uncle's 'four string guitar' (hey I was ignorant OK...)

Found I enjoyed playing bass more, and to me it sounded better so I decided I wanted to learn to play that! So, 16 years on, I'm still wanting to learn to play bass;)

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

6. 5 years ago, I was thinking about playing an intrument. At that time, Cake`s "I `ll survive" was all over MTV. I saw it with my sister once, and told her that i want to play that groovie guitar that was played with fingers and sound deep(Thats what i call the definition of bass:eek: )
    bought a bass a couple of weeks later...The rest... is history:meh:

Peace, Love and begginer bassist

Mike

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My best friend and I took up instruments in church when I was 12. I started drums, because that was what my older brother played, and I thought that he was cool. My friend started bass.

After a few weeks, we decided that it would be fun to switch occasionally, so I started trying to teach him drums(he wasn't coordinated enough) and he showed me the couple of things he knew on bass.

I knew as soon as I picked up the bass that it was for me. It only took me a couple of weeks to get better than him.

When he missed church, I would play bass. After a few months he quit coming, and I switched to bass permanently. 25 years and still going strong!:)

8. My "other hobby" is writing and editing for my college's humor rag. We're pretty informally organized and use a message board for submissions, editing, and critique. The board code word for something that's superfluous or at least not urgent is "Treacle."

No offense to treacle or treacle consumers, of course. Posting habits die hard, I guess. :D

9. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

And which college would that be, my fine fellow?

I started in '75. I was a guitar and violin player before that, but a nice Gibson paired with
    the Acoustic twin 15's just blew me away.

I still play the other axes, but bass is my main squeeze, the other ones are just walking by when I'm looking at the menu ...

10. Are girls still fellows on Talkbass? If so, Thor, how do you know that it farts? ;)

University of Pennsylvania. (Go ahead, someone tell me how the Nittany Lions are doing this year. :rolleyes: )

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Err...right!:meh:

Just remember where you are!! ;)

12. i had always wanted to be in a band, so just before i turned 17 i went out and got a guitar. after about a year after i was in a music store with firends when i picked up a bass and started just playing some random notes, after a cuple minutes i relized that i was far more comfortible wiht a bass then i ever was with any guitar, so 6 months later i got a bass and haven't looked back

13. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Of course, girls are fellow TB'ers!

Girls fart? That's news to me, never heard of such a thing, I better ask my wife. *pause*
    Nope, apparently not. [ You must have noticed that nifty traditional TB name morph I did. ]

[Since Paterno did graduate from my alma mater,
    I have a soft spot for him; and we always like to see Uniperversity of Puppetmania lose, though they did well this year in the fall sports I had heard. ]

You, apparently, are way too intelligent to post here.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread ...
    with this little bump!

14. I kind of got started on bass in a strange way.I was about 14 or 15, and decided that I wanted to learn how to play an instrument other than the sax (which I was learning in school). I also knew that I wanted to play and instrument that was "rock-band related." I finally decided on bass, because the bassists of all my favourite bands at the time just sat in the back, and didn't seem to get a whole lot of recognition. For some strange reason, that interested me. 7 years later, I still love playing bass!

15. I was entering junior high, and I had to pick from either Keyboard Music, or Instrumental Music. I absolutely hated the keyboard, so I entered Instrumental. They asked me what instrument I wanted to play, and gave me a list to select from. At 12 years old, I didn't know jack, so I just picked the instrument that had "guitar" in it.

16. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Me too except my brother played bass, so I went with that instrument also when I turned 12. I wasn't real serious about it until around 1990 when I was living overseas. A friend of mine over there turned me onto an album called Frizzle Fry from a band called Primus. First time I ever heard the bass be used outside of just a "back drop" instrument. Still going strong.:bassist:

17. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I wanted to play because my sister had a guitar, and I wanted to show her up... then I found out that there are loads of guitarists, so the whole "I wanna be different" thing came into play.

:)

18. Wildside

Wildside

Jan 12, 2004
    theater of pain
    I started playing guitar cause I saw Slash in the GnR videos and thought he was the coolest dude ever. Then I discovered motley crue and couldn't decide whether I wanted to be tommy or nikki, they were both so cool that I had to just take up both drums and bass!

19. No they poot! You really don't want me to get started on bodily functions. :D

Yes, we are fellow TB'ers............

I ended up on Bass after a couple of years playing Bass Clarinet in my Junior High Concert Band.

[​IMG]
    Treena

20. Bass clarinet?

Did you just get hooked on instruments with bass ranges, or... ?