Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by caesarbass, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Anybody outh there have any experience with Smooth treadmills? We're just about to but one and have been reading all of the reviews, and the one company that keeps popping up is "Smooth Fitness." Has anyone tried, or bought one of these? the model I'm looking at is the 7.1
  2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    If she comes with it, I say buy it :smug:

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The information sounds impressive and the price would indicate that it is a quality product. However I will say this. The footpath looks quite narrow. The treadmills in World's Gym where I work out (Life Fitness) have a much wider footpath. I'm using footpath for want of a better word.

From my own experience with various makes of treadmills over the years, a narrow path is harder to run on, less comfortable. Also, those handles are the kind I have had bad experience with. I used one treadmill, a Sears model, that had such handles and I often painfully hit my hands on them. This is even more true with a narrow path.

I didn't notice in the info, but does this treadmill have a capacity to vary the incline? Increasing the incline on a treadmill significantly increases the intensity of the workout.

I bought a Sears treadmill that folds up so I could make more space when I wasn't using it. Guess what. I never folded it up! The lesson I learned is don't pay extra for a fold up treadmill unless you have a real space issue and will go to the bother of opening or closing the treadmill. They are kind of heavy and awkward to open and close.

One feature of our treadmills at World's Gym that I love is two- speed fans on each side of the control panel. They really make a hard workout more comfortable.

Whatever treadmill you eventually buy I hope you like it and get years of use from it.
  4. Boplicity-thanks for the advice. Yes, there is incline adjusment on this treadmill, and I will look into the footpath. I know what you mean about feeling cramped when running on treadmills. Also, the whole folding thing, in reality I bet most people who buy folding treadmills don't even use that feature. Oh, well I keep eveyone posted.
  5. Most people who buy treadmills usually don't use them very much at all.... ;)

A good, wide footpath is indeed almost essential IMHO. Also note that many treadmills need regular servicing, much like a car. Ensure that there is a tech nearby to you that can recalibrate and service the machine. It can be quite costly for a distance call-out (at least it is in my country).

Hope this helps. :D
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I recommend you get the best, sturdiest treadmill you can afford. Avoid the glitz, the bells and whistles, the light show, the avant-gard features. Go for a solid, wide base, and a strong, sturdy motor. IME nobody uses the complex features anyway. A simple varied (or steady if you prefer) workout is all most people end up using . . . not one that imitates 100 different speed/incline/heartrate etc etc considerations.
  7. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I run for 20 mins a day, 2 mins at 6kph and 8 mins at 10 kph, repeated. The weight has been falling off me.