1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Treating Parkinson’s via messing directly with the brain? Anyone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by OldDog52, Nov 25, 2017.

1. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    My sister has Parkinson’s that seems increasingly difficult to treat with standard PD meds. I’ve been looking into more advanced alternatives that attempt to “fix” or at least mask the problem at the source: The brain.

Layman’s Overview of the options:

Deep Brain Stimulation: Small hole drilled in skull, electrode implanted, some kind of device attached. Has a long track record for working well in many patients, but not always lasting. And it’s invasive surgery. I worked with a guy who had this done and he improved dramatically, but within a few months he declined back to his previous state.

DBS is by far the most common next-step treatment, but it’s invasive surgery. Hospital stay, risk of infection, longer convalescence. To me this seems like the least attractive of the options even if it’s fairly routine.

Gamma Knife: Focused radio waves create a lesion on the brain that kills the cells responsible for tremors. Non-invasive. Seems to be well-accepted. Apparently it’s difficult to achieve precision targeting though.

Focused Ultrasound: Fairly new, FDA approved in 2016. Non-invasive, uses MRI technology to achieve a more accurate beam focus for creating the lesion. Not many places offer this yet and it’s not covered by insurance. But the success rate seems fairly high.

Anyone have any personal knowledge or know anyone who’s had these treatments? What was the outcome?

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  2. Acupuncture, physical therapy and one of my Wife's colleagues south of Portland has also had good results treating patients with Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Therapy. The internet will say it is crap, but she has seen results.

You will be able to find someone locally for these, though the PEMF Therapy may need a search. Ask them specifically if they deal with Parkinson's patients. If you can not find someone for PEMF and are willing to drive private message me.

3. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Thank you for the PEMF tip. I’m reading up on that. One key thing PEMF seems to address is major depressive order in PD patients, which is becoming a serious problem for her. There seems to be clashing between the PD meds and antidepressants.

She’s getting massage therapy which gives temporary relief. Acupuncture hasn’t been explored yet.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  4. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    Don't know if this will help or not, but throwing it out there:

I grew up with the NJ Chapter President of the American Parkinsons Disease Association.
    About Our Chapter | APDA New Jersey

I'm not sure if the website has any pertinent information within it, but I can probably put you in touch directly with Allan.
    He probably has access to the treatment results you are looking to obtain.

Regardless, best of luck.

OldDog52 likes this.