Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Treating tour musicians on live recordings

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tsal, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I'm just watching The Cult's DVD "Music Without Fear", and looking at the back cover pisses me off. Apparently the original rhythm guitarist and the bassist left at some point of their career, and since they've been using different people for touring, and now they're treating their long-term members quite poorly.

It seems to me these current "subs" have been on dozens of gigs and quite a time in the lineup but they are still treated as one night's stand: the members in the cover are listed as the three original members in large font, and underneath them with tiny font on one line are these two cats. And on the gig the bassist (Billy Morrison) gets some video time, mainly because he's singing backing vocs and active on the stage, but the second guitarist is playing in the far corner and only seen on wide angle shots.

Thank god I'm not a pro, since I probably wouldn't be looking at that kind of system for very long.

I could understand if it was the Rolling Stones or something with a backing band of dozen members changing on every tour, but in a five-piece long-term rock band?

Oh, and I mean that if a live record is cut then I think if you play in a rock band at that moment, you should get full member status, even if just for the back cover. I've never understood the concept of hiring players for a small rock group anyways - either you are part of the band, or not.

2. Billy Morrison and Mike Dimkich never played on any studio recordings- Billy Morrison was also pretty much a last-minute stopgap (he's more of a guitar player/vocalist and has since teamed up with Pitchshifter's Jon Clayden) because Martyn Lenoble (who did play on Beyond good and evil) quit to join Jane's addiction before the tour started.

the last gigs The Cult ever played (in 2002) were with 1994 bandmembers Craig Adams (bass) & Scott Garrett(drums) (who did get the full "bandmember" status), and Mike Dimkich.
    so i think Billy Morrison was in the band for just over a year in total- and seems to have used the exposure he got to his best advantage (posting a tour journal on the Cult's website etc.)

ps. the Cult never had an official rhythm guitarist (although original bassist Jamie Stewart switched to rhythm guitar briefly for the Electric tour).
    also drummer Matt Sorum (now of Velvet Revolver) isn't an original Cult member- he played on the Sonic temple tour (1989/90) before getting poached by Guns n' Roses, rejoining the Cult for the Beyond good and evil album.

3. This seems to be pretty common with long-time bands that replace original members. Bon Jovi has been doing the same thing for a long time with Hugh McDonald... he played on all of the recordings, IIRC, and became their touring bassist too after the original guy was kicked out for being musically incompetent. I think this kind of thing is disgraceful, but all too commonplace.

4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Its the same thing with Creed. They ditched their original bass player for a guy I've seen them use a few times live on TV. But in all the music videos its just the 3 of them.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Using hired guns is a way to avoid the hassles of figuring out what happens when a partner leaves. Don't feel sorry for those guys. They knew what the deal was and agreed to it when they signed their contracts.

Being a "full member" in a band is essentially the same as being a part-owner of a business. If the original four members of a band made it big, then two partners leave, why would you want to bring in some johnny-come-lately as a business partner right off the bat? Maybe they should play with the band for five or ten years before they gain partnership status. It's really tough to get rid of a partner who isn't pulling his weight. It's a lot easier to fire a hired gun who, for whatever reason, isn't cutting it. It's just smart business.

That's a big problem for a lot of bands who have no business sense. It makes it real easy for agents and execs to take advantage of them. Get over it, eh?

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Look at Darryl Jones...if things keep on a-goin', he may be in The Stones for a longer tenure than Wyman.
    ;)