Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Treble Boost?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Apr 5, 2003.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Can y'all recommend a good treble boost for me? I need to bring the high-end out for just a few short segments of a few songs, to bring out the harmonics more. I don't want to use the EQ on the bass or amp, because I want the switch to be quick and easy mid-song. Should I just look for a good foot-pedal EQ, (Boss, maybe) or would something like the Addrock Boostmaster or Prescription Electronics Germ be better suited to what I want to do?

2. I'd reccomend the Boss EQ20 Advanced EQ. I've got one and I think it's very versatile.

3. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Haha...cool. I was just thinking about that pedal, and signed on to do a search here on it. How is the bypass on it? And how much use do you get out of it? I really don't think I'll need to store 9 different EQs on it.
    The price seems kinda steep for something I don't know if I'll be using all that much, but I definitely want to check it out.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Getting something with general EQ capabilities will give you more versatility than a pedal that does bass and / or treble boost only.

There's a bunch of options for pedal operated EQ, there's the aforementioned boss eq-20, also the boss geb-7 bass eq pedal which has sliders and on/off. Also, the guyatone bass EQ pedal which is tiny.

Additionally, if you want a good DI as well you could look into some of the DI pedals with onboard EQ - Sansamp BDDI or MXR-M80. I'd say the MXR has better EQ'ing than the Sansamp, which doesn't really have effective mid control.

I tried the EQ20, it was great but I didn't need that many eq settings stored. Any song to song adjustments I do on my bass between songs, and I'll maybe use a pedal to drop into a slap eq or deep bass setting in certain parts of some songs.

5. i would give some serious consideration to the two boxes you posted? An EQ will get you there sure but a OD/fuzz or clean boost can be a great tool as well. You might end up with a harmonically rich sound with allot of character, certainly more so than a plain ol' EQ stompbox. If tweaked properly a fuzz will give you a fat clean tone with added harmonic emphasis, not just gritty distortion.

6. Bypass is good

I always use it

I looked at it as more of an investment.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've got one too. It's awsome, but it's probably overkill for this problem.

It's a digital EQ that lets you store and save 9 different EQ settings. Add whatever is physically on the sliders and it's effectively 10 eq pedals in one - the price is suddenly justified.

Then for some strange reason, they design it so the 2 pedals don't do what you'de expect them to do. To change EQ patches, you have to bend down and press a little button with your finger! Crazy!

I actually had mine rewired so one of the pedals actually flicks between stored EQ settings, unleasing what is now a very powerful tone shaping tool.

8. Yeah, it might be overkill, but it's always there if ya need it.

I think Boss need to reconsider doing stupid things like makeing the patch button so damn small.

How'd you rewire it ?

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I contacted Boss Australia and one of their electronics guys did it for me. They charged me but admitted that the original design was silly. Basically just swapped the select button with the pedal that turns the effect on and off (the one on the left).

He also installed a toggle switch that lets me choose between the original wiring and the new wiring. He said it would be hard for me to sell it if the mod wasn't reversible.

I can only scroll up the patches but not down. That's fine with me. I'm happy.

10. Cool. I might do that next time I'm in the technology dept. at school.

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Harmonics are high mediums, not highs.
    Around 800-1000 Hz

12. i still have a boss geb-7 for sale... can be used to boost highs or anything else...
    also have a odb-3 and a fl-2(or whatever the purple flanger is)

13. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I tried out a BSM RM Treble Booster the other day, and it did exactly what I wanted it to do. Only thing is the price. Anyone know a more affordable alternative to this? I've been looking at either of the Rangemaster clones from Krank Amps. Does anyone know anything about these?

14. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY