1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Treble side hum on SX P-style.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by archer121, May 12, 2010.

1. archer121

archer121

Apr 12, 2009
    When I have my tone knob turned toward the treble side, I have an unbearable hum that will not go away. The hum decreases as I turn the knob toward the bass side and completely disappears with the knob on full bass. When I first received the bass, I had a bad bridge ground that caused the bass to hum all the time. I fixed this by sanding the bottom of the bridge to the base metal and adding a little copper stamp of shielding copper between the wire and bridge. Now it's dead silent on the bass end but hums on the treble end of the tone knob. What do you guys think the issue is?

2. archer121

archer121

Apr 12, 2009
    Shameless bump!!!

3. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Good question. How does the soldering look? One of the first things I do on a new SX is reflow the solder joints. I've seen some atrocious soldering from SX.

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Depends what you mean by "unbearable hum". In musician-talk that can be anything from a huge hum where you can't hear the bass note, to some mild hum that is barely noticeable when playing.

Your description is quite weird, however as while a tone control will roll off the higher harmonics of hum signals the bass side of the hum (60 Hz) should still be there! This sounds suspiciously like a grounding-wiring problem. Compare your wiring to a standard passive bass wiring diagram. And as someone else suggested re-flow all the solder connections.

If the hum goes away (or gets less) when you touch the strings or metal, that's a pretty good sign it's a grounding/shielding problem.

Good luck.

5. archer121

archer121

Apr 12, 2009
    The solder looks pretty good. A lot better than I expected, actually. Nice and shiny with no cracks or bubbles and solidly bonded.

By "unbearable hum" I mean that when I turn the knob fully to the right (the treble side) the hum is so bad I can barely hear the notes. There is no difference whether I'm touching the strings or not. The hum goes away as I turn the knob to the left and is completely gone at full bass.