Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trebuchet part 1

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Well, we got the first trebuchet built and have started test firing. We have a range of damn close to seventy five feet with rocks and bricks. Rocks work better than bricks. We are comparing counter weight, ammo weight, and firing pin angle. Here is a picture of me and the beast. If I get killed, will you guys put me in for a Darwin award?

[​IMG]

2. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    My drummer, who has the necessary skills to make the big trebuchet a reality.

[​IMG]

3. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Sweet. I've seen a small one with about a 75cm arm built and work successfully, and my friend has a real tiny one with an arm of about 50cm that only sorta works.

4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I think you may already qualify;)

Throw a pumpkin or watermelon in there. Take lots of pics after;):D

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Hey! I'm not dead yet, I feel happy.....

Anyway, we plan on building a huge one that can launch washing machines. We have a washer with an outboard motor bolted to it that we plan on firing up and setting ablaze before we loft it to the heavens. I'll take plenty of video.

6. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Sign me up for a copy of that video :bassist:

7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Not a problem. You have to be patient though, it took us months of talking and drinking to build this one.

8. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'll supply the extra beer if it'll help you get one step closer ;)

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Here's what ya gotta do.
    Get a watermelon, and a wood chipper. Get the Watermelon's trajectory all mapped out, so that it will land precisely in the port of the the wood chipper, and BAM watermelon confetti. If you could get a video of launching a watermellon 75 feet directly into a wood chipper...now THAT'S manly.

As you can tell, people don't like to let me around lumber, powertools, welding supplies, and motors in general. :D

10. you're not thinking big enough. he needs to launch the wood chipper onto the watermelon. now THAT'S manly.

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    You could be a valuable asset to our team.

12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Maybe if the watermellon were filled with some type of explosive....

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    You built a Trebuchet!!!!!!!

:eek:

neat.:cool:

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Bliss, Brendan, DHC....you gentlemen frighten me...

:eek:

in a good way of course!

:D

I definitely want video, or at least a video clip on TB!

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, napalm is easy enough. Now, inject the watermelon with napalm, and launch the wood chipper at it. Hopefully, there'd be enough energy, kinetic or otherwise, to light it up, and BOOM, watermelon gravy.

Of course, one would have to build a big enough trebuchet to launch a wood chipper.

OOO OOO! Launch the wood chipper, while it's eating an exploding naplamed watermellon onto someone's roof! :D Spewing flaming watermelon bits from two stories! HA!

"Gee, Officer, no Idea how a woodchipper got up on Ms. Trunchblatt's roof. No clue."

Well, this all goes along with my idea in 8the grade to make football more exciting. Trebuchet football.
    Imagine, each team with a trebuchet and fruit. The QB fades, fades, is about to make a pass, and WHAM hit with a gourd at 50 yards by the oppsing trebuchet squad (put in each endzone). The running back is up at the 30, the 20, WHAM right in the kisser with a watermelon. Halloween is Jackolanterns only. Nerds would have their place in sports at last. Science and jocks, together at last. The 90 lb weakling that could calculate trajectories on the fly would be just as big a hero as the QB that made the winning pass.
    How cool would that be? A talented trebuchet squad could knock an onside kick off course in mid air. C'mon, CAN YOU DIG IT?!

:D

16. that is the coolest thing Ive ever seen. I volunteer myself to be launched from it :D

17. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    lol@launching washing machines. Bliss, I gotta ask, why is your overall aim to launch washing machines?

18. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Wow! That's a full on legend! I'm going to show my band it, they'll be well impressed!

Any chance of some pics of it 'working' if you've a camera that you can hold down the shoot button and repeatadly take pics please?

Sign me up for the video of the washing machine for defo' please!

19. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    The art, I'm a slave to the art. -That and my drummer has a big old coin-op from a building he renovated. Were not the only ones! They had a show about people doing this sort of thing recently on discovery. They beat us to it due to money, expertise, motivation, know how, competence, things like that.

IAMERICCOCHRANE, I'll have a waiver drawn up.

Brendan, that sort of thinking is just what golf needs to make it more exciting.

Gard, I'll have to invest in a video card that can import video, but I'll find a way to post video asap.

I have a guy from work whose exceptionally bright helping with the physics of the big machine, so I have every confidence that we can build it and not get a washer dropped on our heads.