1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

tree downed by dorecho

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Ewo, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    The dorecho knocked down one trunk of a large buckeye tree in our backyard. I was just gonna dispose of it, but wondered if that was a wood any builders might want..?

We're in Huntington WV 25701. PM me.

2. what's the dorecho?!

3. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    FYI, if you pull the stump, let it sit for a month or so to dry, and cut it into ship-able pieces you will quadruple your profit. Dry for a year or longer: re-saw into rough tops - double again, re-saw into bookmatched tops - double again.

For the most part its just the Burl if it has any is what builders generally look for. I have never seen buckeye (non burl) used for tonewood actually, just tops.

4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    A derecho is a widespread, long-lived, straight-line windstorm that is associated with a fast-moving band of severe thunderstorms.

5. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    It's a large furry beast similar to a Yeti.:D

6. Derecho means straight, or rights (as in human rights) in spanish. I have no idea why it's the name for a storm they have in the american mid-west.

mugre

7. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    It's not a term used in the mid-west. I have lived in the mid-west for 46 years and have never heard it before today.

8. Ewo

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
  9. I sure wish I could take it from you... good luck with that!

10. Ewo

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    You'd be welcome to it. :cool: But it prolly wouldn't be worth driving all that way!

11. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    The Derecho ate your baby