Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

treker basses anygood

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metallitone, Apr 27, 2003.

1. metallitone

metallitone

Apr 19, 2003
    salinas, ca
    I have a chance to get a treker 6 stringer with a walnut body maple neck and ebony fingeboard for 350. the guy doesnt want it and needs money. Are these basses anygood and is this a good value. Its a good looking bass and plays great. Just wanted to know should I save my money for something better?

2. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    I believe there is a trekker reviewed in the Bassplayer issue from a few months back. I thought these were rather expensive instruments. Review was pretty good, no personal experience though.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I know Louis Johnson used to endorse and they had a Trekker LJ model. Apparently their claim to fame is some sort of tension free neck system that puts the tension on a metal bar that runs through the neck (I believe). 350 sounds like a good price from my limited knowledge. It all comes down to the sound and playability really.

brad cook

4. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Trekker's are build by Dave Bunker's son. Dave Bunker designed the Tension Free neck that his older PBC brand and his current Bunker brand use. Some like them, some don't. It is quite a strange philosophy of guitar neck building, at least compared to the traditional approach, but it seems to work when set up right.

Steve

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    It sounds like you had an encounter with a bad instrument, Steve.

What was the problem?

6. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I personally have not had a problem with the "tension free" neck system. On the contrary, I have a PBC made Ibanez ATk and a PBC 5 string "Tele" bass that I really like a lot. As unusal as the "tension free" system is, it seems to work. In fact, my PBC 5 has EMG dual coils with no extra preamp, but sings (more so then any other EMG equipped bass I have ever heard with the possible exception of my USA Spector bolt on with Aguliar (spelling?) pre-amp.) If the neck system effects the sound, as Dave Bunker claims it does, it is a winner.

I have read a few comments from others on the board that seemed to be less then impressed by the 'tension free" neck system. In fact, I got my PBC 5 string cheap from very well known "bass shop" that considered it toast at the time. The problem turned out to be that, after I sent it to Dave Bunker to examine, that someone had improperly adjusted the set screw in the side of the neck which resulted in a severe twisting of the neck. Dave was able to correct this (which could never have been done with a conventional neck) and it now plays great (then though the store that sold it to me sort of warned me that the neck hopelessly beyond playable.)

Steve

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The Treker bass reviewed in bass player was one of their new more mass-produced models and listed at $1300. I don't think they go much cheaper than that list price. The older Trekers are more handmade and likely to be more expensive. $350 sounds like a very good deal indeed.

Alex