Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

trem picking??

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by kingkong8247, Dec 5, 2002.

1. kingkong8247

kingkong8247

Dec 5, 2002
    Hey, what is trem picking? I have heard of it before but I do not know what it is Thanks for the help.

2. Tremolo picking is where you push your tremolo bar down and pick with it rapidly, producing a crappy "KRRAAAAGGGHHHROOAAW" sound that nobody in their right mind wants to hear. Lead guitarists seem fond of this technique.

Basses don't usually have tremolos, so you'll have to focus on playing decent lines instead. Sorry.

3. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    lmmfao

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Your post is funny. But that's not what tremolo picking is.

5. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    lmmfao ;)

6. pick really, really fast, preferably down at the bridge. You can also do it with an ebow by waggling it very fast over a string.

if you were to grab your wang bar (which you don't have, because you're not a bassist.. hey, I wonder if anyone' ever made a bass with a tremelo arm.. I'm not talking about a baritone guitar, either) and do this, you would be doubly annoying as just doing silly bar heroics.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes, there have been basses with tremolo arms.

8. holy cow.

Do you know of a web reference or more info on that? I think that's crazy! In a cool, probably collectible sort of way.

9. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    2 or 3 of Les Claypools Carl Thompson basses have tremolo's.

10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    IIRC, Kahler made bass tremolos back in the day. They aren't in production any more, but if you look real hard you can probably find one.

11. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY