1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tremolo examples?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ChopperDave, Oct 29, 2013.

1. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh!

Nov 14, 2012
    Boston, MA
    I'm a tremolo addict (there, I said it) ... a total sucker for it ... on guitar, anyway. But I'm beginning to get curious about its use on bass.

I've seen a hundred pedal demos, yes, but can anyone give me some solid examples of its use in a song? I'm just curious how useful an effect it would be in a band setting.

I'm an indie rock/old grunge/shoegaze guy, but any genre will do (there's inspiration everywhere, dontcha know ...). I mean, basically you'll just be helping my justify my purchase, but, uh, isn't that what we do here?

As always, many thanks.

2. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Sorry that, off the top of my head, I can't think of anything from the last 20-odd years(I'm sure there's plenty---My Bloody Valentine, or Muse, perhaps?)but here's a few old school examples: The intro part of Pink Floyd's "One Of These Days(I'm Going To Cut You Up Into Tiny Little Pieces)" is mad with delay and tremelo bass. The Yes track from 'Fragile', "The Fish", is essentialy multiple effected bass lines by Chris Squier with Bill Bruford on drums. Even after 40 years, it's a great master class of all the varieties of sounds that can be done with a bass("Yours Is No Disgrace" from that album has some understated trem bass on the verses). "Heartbreaker" by Led Zeppelin is technically vibrato bass, but it can give you a few ideas. I'm thinking there's some Shriekback(great 80's band)stuff, but I just can't place it right now. Go to Youtube and you should be able to dig all this stuff up, maybe even the Zep bass track isolated, if it hasn't been taken down already.

3. ChopperDave

Nov 14, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Thanks! Any others, anyone? It doesn't have to be recent.

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, Pink Floyd is a good example. A few Yes tracks also have Chris Squire using a tremolo or trem like effect.

Zep's Heartbreaker was actually the bass being run through a Leslie speaker but it does sound a bit like a trem. Here's the isolated bass track.

Kings of Leon's "Black Thumbnail" has a prominent trem effect on the bassline.

So does U2's "Love is Blindness" with the trem adding to the darker, ambient vibe of that song.

Not a band I listen to but Train's "I Wish You Would" has trem on the bass too.

Tool's "Right in Two" has Justin Chancellor kicking on and off his trem for the harmonics. Lots of nice bass effects use on that track.

I could probably think of others if I tried.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Listen to Sharship Trooper by Yes

6. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
  7. ChopperDave

Nov 14, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Whoa, thanks, guys!

8. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    Karnivool's "We Are" uses tremolo for two-second bursts through the verses.

9. david costa

david costa

Jun 21, 2011
    Les Claypool from Primus and Stanley Clarke

10. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I used a trem to good effect in a cover band that did Heartbreaker.