Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tremolo on Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sandman1278, Apr 6, 2005.

1. I was pondering buyin a bass with a tremolo bar and was wondering where i would be able to find something like that and how much i would be expecting to pay

2. Lateralus_

Lateralus_

Feb 26, 2005
  3. are there bass manufactures who make basses with tremolo, or do i got to add one myself?

4. Lateralus_

Lateralus_

Feb 26, 2005
    Don't think any manufactures out there who produce basses with tremolos. I had mine installed buy a great guitar tech in the area. He had all the right tools for the job. The guitar body will need to routed out properly to install the tremolo.

5. what would be the best brand of basses to add tremolo too? (best to hold tunning and such)

6. well, Ritter and Tune comes to mind..

7. mrphattay

mrphattay Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Many of the older Carvin Basses came with upgraded Kahller Tremolo Bridges.
    Infact I have an '89 white (LB-70) neck-thru 4 with goldhardware, hipshot D, mono/stereo jacks, active elect, block markers on ebony fretboard,(many factory upgrades) in terriffic shape. It's currently retired, curled up sleeping under the bed. Maybe it's time it changed hands & got some exercise.
    If interested, email me....mrphattay@aol.com

8. also id like to note im looking for somethign within a $500-1k price range if possible

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, new Kahlers are going to list at around $500. Plus labour of getting one installed, is it really worth it?

10. i was talking 500-1k total including the bass, there are cheaper tremolos at hipshot for under 250, still expensive but compared to some bass prices like over 2k its not as much as it seems.

11. anyone had experince with bass w/tremolo and can make some more suggestions?

12. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I think the most affordable bass trem system is built by Hipshot. However, it requires extensive routing to install (so it's pretty much a permanent modification) and is best done by a professional.

http://www.hipshotproducts.com/5stringtremolo.htm

There are a couple of bass builders that offer their own designs of trem bridges as options: Ritter and Tune being the two best-known. Both brands are well above your budget though.

I have played a Fender Bass VI - the trem didn't seem to be of much use to me.

13. I wouldn't really call the Fender Bass VI a 'Bass'...it's more of a deeper Baritone guitar. :D

Les Claypool and Victor Wooten use Trems on their basses (Les on his 4 string Carl Thompson and Vic on his 4 string Foderas), and I believe they're both Kahlers...I'm sure Les's is, but could be wrong on Vic's.

If you solo quite a bit and/or do odd sound effects with your bass and/or are more of a lead instrument in your band, then a tremolo can be a fun and useful tool. Otherwise, it's probably going to be underused.

You could always just do what Brian May did and create your own from an old motorcycle kickstand!

[​IMG]

14. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    If you just wanted to try it out to see if you like it, pick up a used Mexican Fender Jazz or something comparable. That way, if you don't like it, it's no great write-off and if you do like it, it's still a decent instrument (and easily modded).

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's a difficult technique, not as fluent as a six string guitar. It's awkward to go from fingerpicking to grabbing the whammy bar, and it's not quite as useful. Vibratos are subtle because of the low pitch, and the only real use is divebombing LOL. Anything else can be done easier IMO with string bending.

On that note, I want another Kahler!

16. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    G&L also released the L2000 with a Kahler bridge, although I don't know how many got out of the factory. There's also the Steinberger Trans Trem, but these are quite collectable and tend to pull well over $1000 (probably closer to $2000).