1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tremolo/whammy bar for bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by brlottermann, May 31, 2012.

1. brlottermann

brlottermann

May 14, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Hey all,
    I saw a video of Victor Wooten playing somewhere and he had this awesome sounding tremolo bar on his Fodera. I was wondering if there are any basses out there that come with a tremolo from the factory or if you have to order a custom designed bass? I'd love to have one, they look like too much fun.

Thanks,
    Brian L.

2. The Sailor

The Sailor

Feb 14, 2012
    Nor Cal
    Ive never seen one stock with a tremolo. Ive always been curious about basses with tremolos too and i think it would be very cool. Look on warmoth.com they have a tremolo bridge option and they sell tremolo bridges too :)

3. VtheMech

VtheMech

Jul 18, 2007
    Maryland, USA
  4. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    I used to have a Washburn that came stock with a whammy. I sold it on here, never really found a need for the whammy on a bass...

5. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    Never had one from 1965 until recently.
    Found a FACTORY-INSTALLED Kahler bass made by Fame/Hondo that had been upgraded(Schaller tuners, Seymour Duncans) on eBay but I had to re-attach the neck correctly...and then....AMAZING. It is my #1 now and there are 3 Kahler trem bridges here to be installed on basses I already had.
    Helpful hints:
    1) Use lighter gauge strings, you get WAY more range on the trem(40-60-75-95 here)
    2) Remove the tree bridge on the machine head(or shim it to barely touch)
    3) Use graphite in the nut OR get a graphite-impregnated one
    4) Replace the strings with near-exact gauge that it was set up for
    5) Have fun and think outside of the box

I almost got the Rondo one too but Kurt was sold out when finally tried to buy one.

PS: Check trem-master Eric Haven's forum for info, video's, how-to, etc.
    ........ http://basstremfanatics.forumotion.net/

Attached Files:

• Red.JPG
      Red.JPG
      File size:
      32.7 KB
      Views:
  6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Only import bass I know of is the Washburn with factory trem.