Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tremolo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lazy B., Feb 24, 2004.

1. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    he has two basses with a vibrato actually. the bridge is called a Kahler tremolo, i have heard they were the first bass vibrato that did not throw you out of tune when you used it.

they are no longer produced and highly prized (200-300 dollar range) so good luck finding one.

to hear one in action listen to the intro to John the Fisherman, if you have Frizzle Fry by Primus

next time use the search function, this topic has been brought up more than a few times.

2. Peccavi

Peccavi

Dec 24, 2003
    Jonas, pa
    hipshot has one out but you have to router out yuor bass alot or you can buy one already routered at warmoth but them seem to be good, providing you have good tuners.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They're fun. Novelty at best.

4. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Im pretty sure thats the only bas with one of them

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    two.

the one pictured above and the bass he used on the Antipop Tour and Album.

the second has a 36" scale and a massacar ebony top, you can check out all of his Carl Thompsons at ctbasses.com

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    http://www.victorwooten.com/pics/1.jpg

Pretty expensive and hard to find. Not worth it for me. Fun, but not something I'd really apply. I think if I had one I'd feel compelled to use it. You can get whammy effect pedals instead.

I wouldn't want to have to drill more holes into the body of my bass. If it were a new custom bass option, maybe I'd do it.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That's a cable, not a trem.

8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    You're right, but his bass does have a Kahler trem.

http://www.victorwooten.com/bassguitar.htm

My main bass is this 1983 Fodera Monarch Deluxe. It's made of curly and rock maple, Honduras mahogany, and East Indian rosewood. The pick-ups are EMG's and I've added a Kahler tremelo.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep. You can see it better in this picture.

[​IMG]