Trends in the TB Classifieds

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassballs27, Oct 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    As a very active TB member in the Classifieds, I've come to notice a real change recently in terms of how sales (or even trades) are going.

Since the new format change, I've been noticing a lot less of the high end / uber high end brands being offered up for sale or trade from previous years. Maybe people are holding onto their higher end stuff and selling the cheaper models? Just curious.

I am liking the new format as it is controlling the 'bumping' of ads / or the method of bringing ones ad to the front of the list. It used to be crazy how you would see the same basses listed on the first few pages. But now I'm noticing, I'm seeing the same basses every 24 hours!
    Are people not buying basses? Maybe they're not selling. Maybe its a sign of harder times right now?

cirrosis likes this.
  2. MontzterMash

MontzterMash Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2010
    I see some basses selling, but also a lot of the same ones running for weeks or months, good ones. Also have noticed some that move from here to reverb.

carsbybigd, TalHaz and bassballs27 like this.
  3. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    Yeah. It's interesting. Almost like not much is moving.

Trade offers seem to be really limited too. Meaning nit many acceptin trades and not many trades be offered to those acceptin trades. At least, that has been my experience.

4. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    I've been trying to sell one bass for two months and another one about 2 and a half months. I'm so desperate that I've gone back to eBay. I have a few more basses I'd like to sell but it looks like I won't even bother listing them here. It's hard out here for a pimp :(

5. levis76

levis76 Defender of the Low Ender

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Odd, I listed a bass and it sold in just a few days.

Also listed a popular pedal and it sold in about an hour.

Guess it comes down to how much the seller "thinks" its worth vs how much the used gear purchasers are gonna pay.

petrus61, carsbybigd, Gabbs and 19 others like this.
  6. Mammoth_Bass

Mammoth_Bass Check out my band Mammothor!! Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Sandown, NH
    agreed.. I have a couple listed for what I think are fair prices and have been listed for quite some time.... maybe it's just me and/or my gear..

bassballs27 likes this.
  7. If nobody is buying your whatever, your price is too high.

sneha1965, Kmrumedy, Edgar and 30 others like this.
  8. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    This.

9. bass12

bass12 Blistering barnacles! Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I've noticed that a lot of prices are higher than I'd expect - almost as if people think they're selling a floor model rather than a previously owned product.

Edgar, petrus61, Ellery and 15 others like this.
  10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    If you have something for sale and can't sell it there are two reasons. Your price is too high and/or your item is not in demand.

11. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    I've been away from TB for awhile so a few things struck me in the classifieds. Prices have gone up. I expect this is due to the increases in new gear. I couldn't get more than $650 US locally for a Stingray 4 a year or so ago. Look at the prices here and other online sales forums. Some in vogue stuff sells quick but the bulk does not. I've looked for certain gear and never found anything for sale because its popular. What gets listed sells quick. I'm also wondering if the advent of some cheap offshore gear ie Sire has put a dent into jazz bass sales around here. Just a theory.

12. Yep. Theoretically, the price is not determined by either party but by the market. Also theoretically, the seller has no influence over demand. In practice the seller can though by exposing the item to more potential sellers by advertising everywhere possible.

13. Bass'd on a true story

Bass'd on a true story

Jun 28, 2015
    It took me like two months to sell a near-mint Ric 4003s for $1100 when it was the only one listed. I think that price was fantastic and it really surprised me how long it sat before someone had the good sense to grab it.

Herrick likes this.
  14. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I have done 3 or 4 trades in the last 6 months. I was very patient and ended up with great results. Nothing seems to happen fast unless you're willing to take a big hit....Such as $1100 for a Minty Ric.

PsyDocHill likes this.
  15. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Central FL
    I've noticed that at least for the basses I was interested in buying, the sellers were unrealistic in their price. That being the case, i don't even bother making an offer because I'm not going to be the guy who tries to convince them otherwise.

There's more than a couple high end basses that have been listed for many months. It's funny to watch at this point.

16. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I don't need the money so if something sells that's fine, if not, also fine. If it sits long enough I'll move it to some other place.

Also, I list everything with an asking price and encourage people to make offers, but they are rare here. On the other places I sell stuff I get tons of offers ranging from stupid to reasonable, which I usually take, but it's not bass stuff so maybe it's just that bass players looking for bass stuff are less prone to try to deal for stuff. To that end, when I'm selling, I'm insult proof. If I don't like the offer I'll either politely decline or make a counter if you are pinging in the ballpark.

JLY, Illini10, Mind Eroded and 3 others like this.
  17. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Washington DC
    Still a good time to buy from what I can tell. I picked up a roadworn P bass for $650 not long ago, super happy with that.

Ballin'bass likes this.
  18. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I figure it's pretty much like the real estate market. If you want an item to sell quickly, you price it below the comps (other similar listings). If you want the price you'd like, you should be prepared to wait a while.

19. I am Soma

I am Soma Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    Time of the year has some play into it too. After tax season is the best. I put three basses up in the last month and two have sold.

20. One thing to ad to this discussion is a lot of Canadian buyers are no longer looking o talkbass because our exchange rate is terrible. I used to buy lots of stuff on TB but now unless it's a real bargain, I can't.

Kmrumedy, Edgar, Kubicki Fan and 8 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021