1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trevor Davis basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Mgaisbacher, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Mgaisbacher

Mgaisbacher Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Just wondering what folks thoughts on Trevor Davis's basses are. I've heard great things but have yet to see or hear one in person. Anyone out there own one or played one? I would love to hear your thoughts.

I know there are a few scattered around the country (Texas, D.C, etc) but was also wondering if there is someone in NYC, Boston, or the within a few hour drive from Nashville that owns one or would maybe by passing through the south with it.

2. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Apr 6, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fishman Transducers, D'Addarrio Strings, Aguilar Amplifiers
    Give Dustin Williams a call, he's very familiar with Trevor's basses.

Mgaisbacher likes this.
  3. dkziemann

dkziemann

Dec 13, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    Endorsed by D'Addario
    I played one at the BassEurope convention this past September. All I can say was... holy s***. The bass sounded amazing! It was setup with for bowing, but even so the bass had an incredible amount of growl and was extremely comfortable to play. Trevor was great to talk to and he's really a great bass builder. His attention to detail is superb, particularly in the varnish jobs.

4. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    Same thoughts, exactly. His basses will be sought after.

geoffbassist likes this.
  5. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    I played one at the last ISB and one at BASSEUROPE. They were both beautifuly made, sounded and played great. He's certainly a maker who's in high demand.

6. d.Fly

d.Fly Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2002
    PACIFIC PALISADES, CA
    Trevor makes great instruments!

7. the_Ryan

the_Ryan

Jul 10, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    I think I played the fourth bass he made. If I didn't have a Laborie I would buy one of his basses in a heartbeat.

8. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    I played the one he brought to Prague in September. Absolutely incredible - in every metric. Serious $$$ though.

9. Mgaisbacher

Oct 18, 2012
    Nashville, TN

Thanks everyone for the replies! It's great to hear consistently good things about Trevor's basses. I am not sure how to afford one but if I ever want one, now maybe the time to try to figure it out since I assume his prices are only going to go up from here. As far as modern makers go he seems to be priced in the same range as most other folks.

I hope to make it to ISB this year since I'm sure he will have at least one there but not sure if I can make it. If not I plan to search out the nearest one to me or maybe even make a trip to Robertsons at some point if I have the chance.

Also what about the tone of his basses stood out to the people who have tried them? A good mixture of being clear but also full sounding? I'm sure the playability is great as well but any more specifics would be great!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  10. Mgaisbacher

Oct 18, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Just want to give this thread a bump to see if anyone else has any input.

11. I'm the owner of the bass Trevor brought to BASSEUROPE in Prague, which a number of people here have already mentioned. It's currently located here in Toronto. As many have mentioned, his basses are gorgeous sonically as well as physically. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you're curious to hear more about the bass!

geoffbassist and Mgaisbacher like this.
  12. Doubleyourbass

Doubleyourbass Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2017
    Dallas, Texas
    I own Trevor's 5th bass. I play primarily classical with a jazz gig here and there. The bass is a monster, through and through. It provides both the cushion in the section and projection in the audience, so it's a nice "do it all" kind of instrument. It's currently located near Houston, Tx. If anyone has any more questions feel free to PM me.

13. Mgaisbacher

Oct 18, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Finally had the chance to try one of his basses in DC while I was passing through. It felt, sounded, and looked amazing. The only thing is I wish I could of heard it with different strings. I am not sure what strings were on it other then a permanent low C. It just didn't have quite the punch under the bow I was hoping for in the lower registers but still responded very quickly an was very even in all registers. I have a feeling that with spiros it would have more of what I am looking for since it seemed to have fairly dead orchestral strings on it. I can't put it into words easily but it sounded amazing and also was a joy to play.

Doubleyourbass likes this.