Trevor Horn breaks down "Owner Of A Lonely Heart".

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bass12, May 13, 2019.

1. bass12

bass12 Blistering barnacles! Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Interesting to hear this recording deconstructed:

JimK, MonetBass and Kevnn4 like this.
  2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    This is pretty cool. Thanks for posting!

bass12 likes this.
  3. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    Regarding track breakdowns ;

I always wished the track with the ridiculous sampled orchestral stabs, would break down...

Permanently!

4. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Different tastes. I love those stabs. :)

MonetBass likes this.
  5. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017

The single stabs, I can handle - though they sounded really dated, even at the time ; it's when he goes crazy with them - it sounds like a naff pinball machine bonus.

Fortunately the record is too good to be completely ruined by them, but they come close to doing just that - and make the record sound way more dated than it actually is.

6. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    The stabs sounded dated in 1983? I can't think of any recordings that were using those kinds of (Fairlight) samples before then but it could be.

7. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017

Well, I felt J.J. & Trevor had kind of covered that territory with previous records, and we had the Gerry Anderson TV show "Terrahawks", which had those stabs all over the end credits.

But you're right - in '83 I probably thought those trills were gimmicky (though I was probably too young to put it in those terms), and I'm letting my reaction to the late 80's / early 90's reissue cloud my memory into thinking Rick's little overindulgences always sounded dated, when in fact they were very much of the time.

bass12 likes this.
  8. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Wasn’t Tony Kaye back in the fold for 90125?

Bob_Ross likes this.
  9. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017

I'm sure you're correct.

To be honest, I know very little about Yes, other than Rick was married to my friends aunt - and I had a pretty big crush on my friends aunt - so that made me hate capes.

I actually thought you meant the commercials director, Tony Kaye...

10. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    Horn is an interesting guy

Give me the Grace Jones record "Slave to the Rhythm" any day. It is one of my go to listening joys. I love that album.

I also think sides 1 and 2 of the FGTH debut is class.

11. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Correct...although the skinny I heard back at the time was that ~50% of the keyboards on 91025 were played by Trevor Rabin, and >25% by Trevor Horn. Tony Kaye was "in the fold" in the sense that his name is listed as one of the keyboard players in the liner notes, but... :)

5StringBlues, 8guy and jerry like this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021