1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Triad-Orbit Microphone Stand Systems

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Ukiah Bass, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    Pretty cool mic stand system. They've solved most of the issues I've ever had with mic stands. Not cheap. But definitely the top of the line! I especially like the swivel ball system in the mic connectors and booms that enables micro adjustments without having to move or adjust the whole stand.

Here's the intro video that demos the products:

2. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I saw this demo at the AES Convention a couple of weeks ago. These stands are unbelievable! They have really spent the time to make a great product that eliminates all the problems I've ever had with mic stands. Great company!

3. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Wow. That is just an incredible system.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    For $450, it should be incredible.

5. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Didn't realize they were that expensive. Maybe why I haven't seen them at my local music store. Don't see me having one at that price.

6. UB,

Your posts are always informative and give good insight, I remember learning quite a bit on the Reeves product in various threads you posted to...I caught wind of this line myself and was truly impressed. No doubt on the upper level from a cost standpoint. However, after I factored in how many mic stands I have been through primarily as a drummer and running sound, I feel this is very good bang for the buck...will be ordering a full compliment of the TO products this month for my live drum rig and will post up thoughts after I have put it through the paces.

Cheers,

Oddtime

7. Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Hey OT, thanks! I'll look forward to your reactions from the real world. I haven't purchased any of this gear yet but suspect I'll ease in with one of their "retrofit" kits that can leverage my existing stands. Call me cheap, but that seems to be a good way to go.

I'm particularly interested in your insights from the drummer perspective. I just resigned from a jazz gig and am rebooting an old surf/rock project (The Stormy Weathermen) for which I too will be recording and running sound. The challenges of miking drums intimidate me. I'm going through Owsinski's revised "The Recording Engineer's Handbook" for ideas. Also thinking about using this technique live and in the studio:

I suspect this technique might benefit from the Triad-Orbit gear.

8. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
  9. That Orbit is a sweet looking stand - nice boom too. Thanks for the links UB. :)

10. Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Dear Oddtime - how is the Orbit stand system working out for you? I'm particularly interested in your opinion on how well it might work as a tall boom. I'm considering the T3 for suspending a large diaphram mic on a spider mount about 7 - 8 feet in the air above a drummer. Wondering how stable this would be as the Orbit's legs seem fairly compact. Looking forward to your review! Thanks.