Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

triad voicings

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by WillBuckingham, Jul 1, 2005.

1. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Hey guys, I've been experimenting with triad voicings. My problem is when I voice them 1, 3, 5, using ring (or pinky), middle, and index, on adjacent strings. The result is that my index finger is curled up and hurts after a few of these. I've experimented replacing my index with my thumb but this doesn't seem to be a very effective technique. Any advice?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Instead of using ring, middle and index, try using your little finger, ring and index for the root position 1-3-5.

There are other triad shapes that are easier to do, like the first inversion triad (3-5-1). Hold down the E on your A string, seventh fret with your ring finger, then both the G on the D string and the C on the G string, fifth fret, with your index finger.

Second inversion 5-1-3 is also easier. Try holding down the G on your E string with your middle finger, the C on your A string and the E on your D string and you'll have a second inversion C chord.

Another reason you might be having trouble might be because you're doing all these triads very low. triards work better higher up on the neck where the sound is also less muddy anyway. Good luck.

3. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Thanks for the input. I'm having the same problem with my index finger when I work on Bach's cello suites (on my 5 string w/ high C) I put a few hours of work in on the prelude of the first one today and I feel like the only sensible way to work it out causes that index finger to be all curled up almost the whole time. That means pain. Has anyone had this problem, or any advice for stretching or something?

4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Fingering higher up the neck and a five string with a high C will definitely help clarity and will also be easier with the method your using because there's less stretch, though that finger arrangement is good for augmented and major and ackward for minor and diminshed triads. I would just voice the triads with the root and the third.

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    3-5-8(1) and 3-5-7 are the simplest to get to, try those out.

6. What excellent advice. My hat off to you, Blackbird.

Listen to this man and learn!!

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Thanks. I do exactly what I'm knowing...:D