Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Triads/Chords

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by CAM, Mar 10, 2003.

1. CAM

CAM

Mar 10, 2003
    mongo's house
    hi,

I know all music is derived from chords or something like that but i was wondering if someone could give a few songs that are good examples of the use of triads.

Secondly, by my understanding a triad is made up of 1,3,5 (root/tonic, third, and fifth). is this right? and if so are there different chords for different scales? basically i understand what a triad is and what a major and a minor triad are, i think i just need a little more explaination as to there application and their relation to keys and scales.

I probably havent made much sense but thank you for your patience and hopefully your reply.

Kind regards

Cam

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    A Chord is three or more notes played at the same time. usually it is not ANY three notes, but notes based on certain music theory practices. The simplest chord is the triad - a three note chord. The triad is USUALLy (not always) made up of three notes each seperated my the interval (musical space) of a third. In any given key (diatonic harmony) there are 7 triads each based on each note of the major scale. There are two kinds of "third" intervals: major and minor. Therefore you can have 4 types of chords, each built from with three notes and each interval being either a major or minor third

Major Triad: major third/minor third
    Minor Triad: minor third/major third
    Diminished Triad: minor third/minor third
    Augmented Triad: major third/major third

In any major key you will find 3 of the aforementioned 4 types of chords. The only one not found in diatonic harmony is the Augmented Triad.

For example: the key of G (1 sharp) is
    G A B C D E F#

The chords based on each note of the G major scale are as follows:
    G Major (G,B,D)
    A Minor (A,C,E)
    B Minor (B,D,F#)
    C Major (C,E,G)
    D Major (D,F#,A)
    E Minor (E,G,B)
    F# Diminished (F#,A,C)

Each note of every chord comes from the G Major scale. Each major scale has it's own set of chords.

Take a song like Van Morrisons' "Brown Eyed Girl"

The chords to the verse are Gmaj, CMaj, Gmaj, Dmaj. As you create a bass line to the tune you should start by outlining the chord by using notes in the chord(chord tones). You can add in other notes in the scale or chromatic notes (not in the scale) to smooth out the bass line.

Hope this helps

Mike

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hey Mike,

Would a sus4 or sus2 be considered a triad?

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Don't start that again :D

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I thought I was being set up :p

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Actually, I was being serious with my question, but I don't blame you for not answerering it.

Remember that other classic debate about power chords?

:p

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Missed that one. Was it before I joined? And what was the debate? I can't think what there is to debate about power chords.

8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
  9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ah I see. So you can have an argument about power chords :)