Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by CAM, Mar 10, 2003.

1. CAM

Mar 10, 2003
    mongo's house
    Hi, BTW this is my first post on this site,

I'm trying to get to grips with the theory side of playing, specifically, triads.

I finally understand how and why they are formed, but am still a little lost as to how to use them.

Could someone give me a few examples of songs (preferably famous songs so ill know them) that use chords/triads.

Secondly, Ive learnt the most common scales (ie major/minor, major/minor pentanonic, blues etc), and now triads, Perfect 4ths, 5ths, and 3rds, so what would be the next step?

Lastly, I'm very interested in getting into the music industry as a session player or a teacher, and would greatly appreciate any help, tips, or advice from people who are already there. I'm getting a diploma with hopes of moving on to a degree at ACM in Guilford, but if anyone reccomends anything ill be sure to take a look.

Thanks in advance

2. Here's a verse riff bass line to the Metallica song, "Call of Ktulu"

That's a G Triad. Major G maybe? To be honest my theory sucks.

Here's a guitar fill to the Metallica song, "And Justice For All":

That would be in the key of F#
  3. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    CAM - Welcome to TB!

This thread really belongs in General Instruction - a moderator should move it there hopefully.

As for triads - knowing how chords are formed will help you to create a bassline that fits. If you know what notes are in the chords that are being played by the guitarist or keyboard player (or whoever) - this will help you form a bassline that fits with the chords.

That way, you don't have to stick to the root note, simply because you don't know what else you can play that will fit. For example, if the chord is C - you know that C E and G are the notes that comprise the chord. So you know that you can use these notes in your bass line, under that chord.

This way, you can embellish the root notes with other chord tones to make your bass lines more interesting.

And as you learn more about chords and harmony, you will learn how different degrees of the scale sound in relation to different chords, and you'll have a wider musical palette for note selection.

Does that make sense?

And as for Garrett...

I'm not familiar with the song - but that don't look like it's in the key of F#.
  4. Yeah my theory sucks more than a 5 cent ho. I need to hit the books again. It's funny, I'm considering Berklee, but I haven't even memorized the modular patterns ;)

I just assumed the triad key was based on the root note...oh oops. I said the 5th degree note, not the root.

At least I got the examples right
  5. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Uh, wha?

A A A G A G A E Eb Eb Eb Eb E C B doesn't really resemble any triad. Well, sure you could pick notes outta there that would make a triad, but that don't make it a triad!
  6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Off to general instruction.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I was going to say that you would be hard-pushed to find a song that didn't use chords or triads - until our Berklee wannabe found one, it seems!! ;)

Seriously though - just about every song you hear on the radio is built up of chords or triads - although usually it will be keyboards or guitar playing them - but as moley says, if you know what notes go to make up chords, then you have a bigger choice when constructing a bassline - rather than just being rstriced to the root.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

And that's why Tabs are a big waste of time - especially if you want to get into Berklee!!! :D

...or any college, to study music.
  9. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Amen brother,the berklee guy needs to do some serious instruction before even thinking about going there...
  10. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    That's the thing. I actually had to sit there with my bass and translate that pile o' numbers into *notes* before I could work out what was going on. If it had have been standard notation, it would have been obvious that it wasn't an example of a triad.

Actually, Garrett, I'd be interested to know by what logic you arrived at that Metallica riff as being a G Triad?

What it looks like to me is some waffling in A Minor, with a bluesy b5 for good measure. But it's not outlining any triad directly, and certainly not a G Major one.
  11. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    No offense intended whatsoever Garrett, but if you KNOW your theory sucks, why pass it on to someone else?!
  12. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    How's the treatment for that going Bruce? :D
  13. Bruce Lindfield

14. Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    This thread is cracking me up.

i just have a very basic understanding of theory and when i began reading the metallica triad references i felt soo soo confused. thankfully the next couple posts confirmed my original impression. whew!

tab is the devil.
  15. I didn't GIVE him any theory. I posted 2 tabs. One of which is, now I realize, wrong.

See what happens when you get on the net at school, and are rushed because the damn hawaiian teacher is saying, "it lunch our. go eat. now. u wan food guy? go eat"

Seriously, that's how he talks.
  16. Bruce Lindfield

Then leave it to the people who left school many years ago!! ;)
  17. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hey! :spit: :)
  18. Bruce Lindfield

Well, how many years is it since you were in "school", then?
  19. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Well, 5 since I was actually in school. But if you include 6th form college in that, then it's 3.

Either way, would you call that 'many years'? I thought you were implying people who left school quite a bit longer ago than that...
  20. CAM

Mar 10, 2003
    mongo's house
    I'm proud to say that thanks to "most" of ur help ;) I now fully understand triads, and even have a basic understanding of 7ths as well!!! The lesson on all this stuff was REALLY helpful and if i knew how to put the link in here i would. Ive learnt more theory in the last few days than I have in the last two years!!!

I just also like to point out a relatively obvious fact, that has really hit home recently, which is the infinate wealth of knowledge of everybody else. Thanks again u guys and rest assured ill be asking for ur help again in the near future.

Kind regards