1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Triangulation of Fingering Systems

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by TomGale, Mar 23, 2006.

1. TomGale

TomGale

Jul 31, 2005
    American School of Double Bass
    Mark Morton and I have been putting this together for about 15 years now and have sent out alot of books. For those of you not familiar with it - it combines closed hand (Simandl, etc.), open hand (Franke, 4 finger, Karr, etc.) and thumb positions above and below the octave. I have been sending out books for a long time and I never see any feedback except at the summer ASODB week-long session. Anybody out there using it???
    Tom Gale
    ASODB.com

2. jfv

jfv

May 5, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I'm certainly interested in your work Tom, just maybe a
    bit beyond me yet. How would Rabbath's technique fit
    in your scheme?

I'll get there eventually :)

Yours,

3. mrgoodbass

mrgoodbass Supporting Member

May 9, 2006
    California
    Great book-thanks. Really has helped a lot with the thumb position and also with alternatives to the Simandle.

4. Zojo

Zojo

May 19, 2013
    Send me a copy, and I'll tell you what's up.

5. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005

I bought it, I use it and just started watching the videos. I think the Rabbath Pivot helps when you go to open position/Franke. If you use the pivot with the concept of applying both closed and open, mix in the crab you can get anywhere with a good tone! I recommend the Tom Gale book because it helped validate using multiple approaches rather than being locked in to one and only one method, to me this was the biggest learning concept.

6. mrgoodbass

May 9, 2006
    California
    Hi Tappingtrance-were you referring to the rabbath vids or was there one with the triangulation book that I missed out on?

7. mrgoodbass

May 9, 2006
    California
    Zojo-thanks for your generous offer. I'll pass

8. tappingtrance

Jul 27, 2005
    I had heard a lot about the Triangulation and bought that book:

Thomas B. Gale's Triangulation of Fingering Systems for Double Bass open hand, Closed hand and thumb Positions (formerly technical foundation studies vol 1-3) also mark Morton has numerous of these etudes on Youtube.

http://youtu.be/x_r7XfpzM2A

9. mrgoodbass

May 9, 2006
    California
    Wow-how great to find these vids as I'm going thru the book.

10. tappingtrance

Jul 27, 2005
    PM'd you, question on the book.