Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tribal Tech CD's

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by halfnote, Mar 8, 2001.

1. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    I have been hearing alot about them and Gary Willis. I want to pick some up but there are like 400 gazillion to choose from. Which one is takes you higher?

~halfnote

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Personally, I really prefer their older stuff, like Dr. Hee...at that point in time, TT was, as their name states, "tribal/tech". They had Willis, Henderson, keys & drums + Bob Sheppard on saxes/flute & Brad Dutz on percussion/marimba. Pretty interesting mish-mash. Currently, TT is a 4-tet & is more in the "tech" vibe.
    That said, their newest, Rocket Science, IMO, is pretty happenin'. Drummer Kirk Covington has really made great strides in his playing compared to earlier albums when he first appeared(IMO).
    Face First & Reality Check are a couple others I like...

I would highly recommend getting Gary Willis' Bent cd; Willis' No Sweat(his first solo outing)is also very good. No guitars, either! ;)

As far as Scott Henderson-
    ...I do like his Rockin'-Funked out "Blues" albums, Dog Party & Tore Down House. "Dolemite" from TDH is an ass-kicker; there's also a cool version of "Continuum" on that disc + a hilarious vocal tune called "I Hate You".

3. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    JimK you are killing my wallet. I LOVE rockin' funked out "blues." I am going to have to get that too.

1/2note

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Like JimK, I like their older, melodic stuff, eg. Dr. Hee, Spears. The newer recordings are a little disorderly; they sound like jam sessions with the tape recorder running. Gary Willis' playing is often buried in the mix, but when he solos, he's stunning.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Chris-
    I think a lotta of both Thick and Rocket Science were improv'd in the studio, a very similiar "writing" technique is also found on Weather Report's later albums. In fact, IMO, the first tune("Saturn 5")on RS sounds a lot like WR(w/ a guitar). The 4th tune("Rocket Science" just blows me away; how 'bout the "trainwreck" that occurs a little past 1/2 way through the tune?

1/2 note-
    ...if you want a good laugh, hit www.garywillis.com & check out some of the questions/answers in "Ask Willis".

6. clave

clave

Jan 1, 2001
    Geez, my fav TT is live....all the live boots that are floating around.The CD's are always changing. I Like the band best on Tribal Tech/Tribal Tech-> Heridea made the band sound great, but, Kirk and Willis hook up differently, it's a *thing* they've had for many years.

TT is a logical extension outta many bands including WR yes, Zep too, and also many others that are obvious. Although the band is great, maybe its time to hear each of them further develop solo cd's which seem to sound the best of late. Yes they are a great band, but, for me its time for something new.
    BTW- Willis is *THE* fretless bassist post-Jaco in my opinion, just so you know i have tons of respect for him. Just time to move on for me...

7. I agree with Willis being <i>the</i> bassist in the Jaco tradition. I'm a big, huge fan of Gary Willis and Tribal Tech. His flawless technique, full sound, melodic playing, composition, groove makes me think of him as a genius. Even his slapping! The guy never slap, yet in the handle of tunes he does slap he manages to be innovative.

For albulms, I think you should get <i>Primal Track</i> which is a compilation of the first 4 albums. Get <i>Bent</i> and <i>No Sweat</i>, his "solo" stuff and an earlier Tribal Tech CD. I wouldn't know which one but I would avoid <i>Thick</i> for now. I kinda like like <i>Face First</i> which is more "groovy" but there are good stuff in every album. If you get hooked to TT, you'll end up with all of them.

8. Love Tribal Tech. I have Primal Tracks, Rocket Science amd also Bent. I think they're all great and I'll be adding the rest of their stuff to my collestion, including No Sweat, in the future.