1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tribby SB-2 vs. MIM Standard Jaguar Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dirtyfrenchman, Mar 6, 2017.

1. I'm on the market for a passive PJ bass with I type neck. I am located in Europe in a rather remote location, so not many possibilities to test instruments in the shops (probably will have to purchase online). I definitely don't want an active instrument (my active basses have been modded to passive) and I like "classic" design. Within my budget, my choice is between a Tribute SB-2 or a MIM Jaguar Bass. What are your thoughts about it?

2. Basstards

Basstards

Oct 7, 2016
    I own a tribute SB-2. I think it sounds amazing. I'd purchase it again. I'm not a fan of fender.

I will say the nut holds the strings too high off the fretboard. I have a set of nut files on order to remedy the problem. Outside of that, I think the tribute sounds just as good if not better than some $1,700 basses.

3. Thanks Basstards. I already own a JB-2 which is excellent.
    I really like the shape of the Jaguar and the fact that it is made of alder instead of basswood like the SB-2. Otherwise, G&L Pups and bridge are deffinitely better than the Fender ones.

Basstards likes this.
  4. SB-2 ordered. Next post will be in the NBD section

pjbassist and Basstards like this.
  5. Basstards

Basstards

Oct 7, 2016
    I got my nut file set the other day, lowered the nut slots on my SB-2, and I am very very happy with the results. If you're comfortable with that type of adjustment (be careful not to go to far), it makes an already great playing bass that much better.

Can't wait to hear about your new bass.

6. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Tribby and Tribute both have the same number of syllables.

PotsdamBass8 likes this.
  7. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Just make sure you do some reading on how to set the controls. Those pickups are super hot, and you get a lot of variation from how they're blended and even just volume. I run mine both wide open but that's because I want it to sound like a WMD. Backing off 20% changes it a lot.

8. I will check out the sound possibilities when I receive it (hopefully monday or tuesday). I'll check the nut, and if I feel the slots should be lowered, I will see that with my luthier (you know, I have 2 left hands and I'm right handed).

9. Tribute SB-2 received and tried in rehearsal. It sounds outstanding and is very comfortable to play, though heavier than what I imagined about basswood. Thank you all for your advice.

Basstards likes this.