1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tribute Band - What are some good bands to Tribute?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by SmokinJoe992, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Davbassdude

Davbassdude

Mar 16, 2012
    Florida
    I enjoy playing varied set lists. That said; If I had to play in a Tribute Band it would be either Allman Brothers, Johnny Winter or Eagles (All selfish choices). I would have also included the Rolling Stones, by there are so many Stones tribute bands. Allman and Winter I could sing, but the Eagles would require other members contribute to vocals. Also, the band that would be easiest to book would most likely be either Eagles or Allman Brothers.

SmokinJoe992 likes this.
  2. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    Flecktones???
    Might be a bit of a challenge...;)

TinyE and SmokinJoe992 like this.
  3. Hundred proof

Hundred proof

Apr 22, 2018
    Local band that does really well, is a British Invasion tribute they call themselves Jeffery and the Pacemakers ... kinda a take on the original Gerry and the Pacemakers of the original British Invasion.

getbent and SmokinJoe992 like this.
  4. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I think a a Weird Al tribute would be awesome as well! I think I would call it either Weird Hal or UHF

GBBSbassist and SmokinJoe992 like this.
  5. Hambone70

Hambone70

Jan 31, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    SmokinJoe992 likes this.
  6. The Mogpipe

The Mogpipe

Nov 9, 2017
    Cheap trick would be cool. Long blonde hair singer, rockin bass player, and Rick and Bun E. shouldn't be to hard to emulate visually. Good call!!

SmokinJoe992 likes this.
  7. This was one of the first ones I thought of. With the beards, coats, hats and sunglasses anyone could pull the look off. Vocals are not horribly difficult, and plenty of material.

mikewalker and Alowishus Mudd like this.
  8. It kind of surprises me to but ‘Wrong Way’ plays a lot of shows around here.

diegom likes this.
  9. bassfran

bassfran

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    Mott The Hoople and Roxy Music.

SmokinJoe992 likes this.
  10. pglaser01

pglaser01

Mar 19, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    If only I were that good....
    Rage Against the Machine....if your singer can do it you’ll do well.

90s tributes are great if you have the righ venue here.

dBChad and SmokinJoe992 like this.
  11. In my area I am starting to see tribute acts get opening act gigs for nationally touring bands. Not the huge ones, but ones that play the 1000 to 2000 seat venues. That is what got me interested.

12. There is a Bowie tribute around here called ‘Diamond Dogs’. They get a lot of good shows.

mikewalker likes this.
  13. The only thing that comes to mind I haven't already seen in this thread is Cake and B52s. Nice long playlists and super fun tunes.

SmokinJoe992 likes this.
  14. bassplayer2014

bassplayer2014

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    Some really cool ideas! In my area we have a lot of tribute bands. Our last gig we played with an 80's metal shreding band.

Here we are, I hope?:

SmokinJoe992 likes this.
  15. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

Sep 27, 2003
    Newberg, OR
    Spinal Tap. All eras.

diegom and SmokinJoe992 like this.
  16. RHCP- fun. Vocals aren’t difficult, dress energetically.

SmokinJoe992 likes this.
  17. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Biiiiiig +1 :thumbsup:

Years ago, after being a die-hard Yes fan for decades, I reached a point in my life where I decided to put together a Yes tribute band since I played much of their 70's-era material on my bass. Here's the rub: it took a whopping *TWO YEARS* :jawdrop: to find the right keyboardist, drummer, guitarist, and vocalist. The vocalist position was the most difficult to fill, but we finally found a female who could hit those high notes. I knew going in that it would take a long time to assemble the band, so I set my expectations accordingly. That band held together for five years, and we had a ton of fun! :thumbsup:

Being in that band lead to me finally having my life-long dream fulfilled of meeting the members of Yes. I got to chat separately with Jon, Chris, Steve, and Alan. That was a good day! :)

18. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    Pretty hard to beat Eagles. Their stuff never seems to get old.

SmokinJoe992, Hambone70 and TinyE like this.
  19. TinyE

TinyE

Jan 31, 2013
    portland,or
    I see what you did there

SmokinJoe992 and lfmn16 like this.
  20. how about a saturday night fever tribute act...songs from the sountrack..lol it would be different..lol...not so sure of how it would go over though...

SmokinJoe992 and MVE like this.