1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tribute Band - What are some good bands to Tribute?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by SmokinJoe992, Mar 14, 2019 at 1:11 PM.

1. Rum Ham

Rum Ham

Jan 28, 2018
    Ohio
    I thought that it would be mindblowingly-super radical and cool- To create the world's first tribute band- entirely dedicated to recreating the hit song, from the band-
    4 NON BLONDES.
    Imagine that, an entire band whose sole purpose is to re-imagine "What's Up". Over and over.
    Example, first song "What's Up" Reggae version.
    2nd song "What's Up" Hair Metal version.... and so on, 3,4,5 etc
    And create an entire set(45min or so) sticking to the formula of reinterpreted "What's Up"
    Imagine the unadulterated joy of, THAT!
    People would love it.
    So 4 Non Blondes is my 2 cents.

SmokinJoe992, dBChad and GBBSbassist like this.
  2. I did do a little time in an Elvis tribute band way back in the day, but nothing after that. It's just as well, nothing could ever hold a candle to . . . . . .

. . . . . being in a tribute band as good as that !

3. Magthegrate

Magthegrate Way less skilled than my gear suggests.

Sep 18, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'm thoroughly enjoying my Robert Earl Keen cover band lately. I used to say that I hated country. I get around this by calling his music Americana or Folk.

SmokinJoe992 likes this.
  4. I’d say it is up to whom ever the singer can replicate well. IMHO It all comes down to the vocals. A good portion of us can “cop a feel” as they say. But if the vocals don’t cut it, it’s a pretty tough sell. Again, IMHO

Respectfully

SmokinJoe992 likes this.
  5. Hambone70

Hambone70

Jan 31, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    I prefer the era/decade/genre concept. IMO, it's a lot more marketable to a wider audience in a single geographic area. Specific bands/artists can be too... specific, unless you're willing/able to tour. Just how many Rush geeks in your neighborhood would pay to see you repeatedly?

6. Nevada Pete

Nevada Pete Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Roy Orbison

SmokinJoe992 likes this.
  7. Outbush

Outbush

Nov 6, 2016
    Australia
    Tribute that unsuccessful, nigh forgotten indie band you were in in your late teens. Maybe still nobody will turn up but it’s a great incentive to get back to see your mates regularly. Plus you might play the songs with a bit more velvet.

SmokinJoe992 likes this.
  8. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018
    A Ramones tribute strikes me as both reasonably easy to pull off and really marketable. Finding a Joey would be tough, but I suspect that’d be true of any tribute act.

sowilson, SmokinJoe992 and Dabndug like this.
  9. there’s plenty of assholes who act like him though

SmokinJoe992, dBChad and The Owl like this.
  10. Dave Clark Five?
    Craftily sneaked in smack bang in the middle of the post where most people wouldn’t notice.
    Most amusing. I like it ;)

SmokinJoe992 and The Owl like this.
  11. What about names?
    Probably needs a different thread, but I quite like the name of a tribute that sometimes plays my local called ‘Alike Cooper’.
    My all time favourite though, has got to be ‘The Pretend Pretenders’.

SmokinJoe992 and The Owl like this.
  12. Abba. You'll need to find two attractive women who can actually sing.

SmokinJoe992 likes this.
  13. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    this ought to look pretty good on a marquee if you call yourselves Puups or Dhumpz or something like that:

upload_2019-3-15_6-43-48.

SmokinJoe992 and PMagers like this.
  14. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    What a testament to patience! My hat is off to you.

SactoBass and Nevada Pete like this.
  15. Kikegg

Kikegg

Mar 3, 2011
    Madrid, Spain
    I have played two of the three in cover/tribute bands. Black Sabbath (Ozzy era -some years ago-) & Ramones (currently)

Sabbath is a really nice (and serious) experience, from bass point of view. Geezer is an awesome bassist and his lines are top notch and in general, IME, affordable for an amateur as me. Some really hard. At band level, you need hard working people to make it work. It's very demanding. From audence point of view at least here in Spain we never had too much people watching us. At least they were hard core fans and very supportive.

Ramones is 200% fun. Absolutely affordable for everybody to play and very easy on the audence. Even with not so known songs you can make them go crazy with the one-two-three-four song linking :D

I like to categorize Ramones cover bands in two groups. The "Loco Live"-alike cover bands, which are almost the 100% of them and play fast and furious and the other >1% that, like us -actually I only know my band doing it-, play tunes at the same tempos as in the records, singing those surfer chorus at 3 voices, and so on. From my 4-years experience people appreciate it a lot more than the revved up bands.

49005424_1016069335262705_8691205179195785216_n.

For the record, our crowdest gig was in 2017, december 28th, when we played "It's Alive" entirely for its 40th anniversary, its 28 songs, same stops, +/- same dialogs. Was great!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 6:32 AM
    SmokinJoe992 likes this.
  16. A band that is fun with a lot of hits. That said, I would go with something you enjoy first and foremost. I would love to have been in a Cheap Trick or Duran Duran tribute band, as I love them! But I would not want to be in a Journey or REO Speedwagon tribute, even though they were huge acts. Just not my cup of tea, and I would not enjoy that.

SmokinJoe992 likes this.
  17. A good friend of mine (Andy Wickett) was the singer before Simon LeBon, and wrote 'Rio' and 'Girls on Film'. He sold the rights to them for those two songs for peanuts.

Rob Martinez and SmokinJoe992 like this.
  18. Hopefully not also your trousers. Your pic suggests you'd be a perfect match for the gay one in a Village People tribute band.

19. beatlebass64

beatlebass64 Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Grateful Dead.

After playing Dead tunes I'm not sure I could go back to doing covers as written. Being able to jam and embellish songs just makes every gig something different, and has opened up more of my playing than anything else before.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 7:25 AM
    SmokinJoe992 likes this.
  20. Duran Duran was another one I would love to do, but the look would be a big part of that one.

Rob Martinez likes this.