Tribute by G&L

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by moelll, Apr 30, 2003.

1. moelll

Apr 25, 2003
    placentia, CA, USA
    today, i have just heard of Tribute by G&L and i would like to know the specs and where its made at. the price seems alittle too low to be made here in the USA
  2. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    here is all the specs on the bass

3. moelll

Apr 25, 2003
    placentia, CA, USA
    it would seem to me that G&L has betrayed itself by doing the very thing it said it'll never do, let the guitar be made by machines (CNC). i guess its just a souless bass
  4. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
  5. That people can actually afford. :rolleyes:
  6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    You can get a used "real" G&L for that money.
  7. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Or get a NEW Tribute that looks,feels, and sounds the same as the originals. Specs are exactley the same in every part of the bass.
  8. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Looks and feels - I agree

Sounds - probably (the Tribute L2K I tried wasn't quite the same as the US L2K I sold but that's comparing basswood/maple to alder/rw)

Specs exactly the same - Nope
    - tuners aren't the same (cheaper, not as nice)
    - necks are 1 piece, not bi-cut
    - ash bodies are more pieces (if it matters to you)
    - there's something different about the bridge (cast vs milled?) but it looks the same and is very solid
    - basswood (not alder) on Tributes

That said the Tribute L2K I tried last week impressed me a lot. It reminded me of the Czech MTD Beasts I've had - very nice feel, good sound.
  9. Seeing as your the resident expert, how was the weight? I've heard basswood is kind of dense and I don't think I've ever played a basswood bass...*hehe*
  10. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I really wish people would pay attention to these differences more. They really aren't the same at all, but just follow the same general design. They are good import versions, but they are by no means a replacement for the real thing... more like a good beater/backup.
  11. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

"Expert"? Not me, just an enthusiastic fan who got lucky enough to try one out.

The weight wasn't bad - it felt "normal" to me, not heavy or light. I'd guess (and this is truly a guess) that it would be in the 8-9.5 lb range. It was about the same as my alder bodied SB-2.

According to Warmoth's wood page (my favorite place for basic info on instrument woods) basswood is actually lighter than alder and fairly soft (one of the big knocks I've heard against it).

My general take on the Tributes is that they are great competition for the Fender Deluxes (Mexican built with active electronics) and fall in the same price range. The US electronics on the Tribute put one of the strong points of the US G&Ls in the imports.
  12. MattFreemanRock

Nov 30, 2002
    The Premium tribute models come in Swamp ash not basswood.

and besides what else can you get for the price?
  13. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Yep, and those are the only ones I'd consider (although they have more pieces of ash making up a body than the US models if that matters - and I personally would only care much if it looked bad). But I'd have to think about it because I prefer alder to ash and that's not an option. I guess I wasn't real clear when I had differences on the ash and basswood/alder both listed on different lines.

What else is in the price range?

Conklin Groove Tools
    MTD Kingston (and Heir?)
    Cort Curbow
    Warwick Rockbass
    Fender Deluxe Active
    (and those are just some of the ones I like, there are Schecters, Deans, Ibanezes, Yamahas, etc.)

and my personal favorite: a used US G&L

It all comes down to what you like. Don't get me wrong, I think the Tributes are good value and will be good for G&L. But they aren't the same as a US G&L for less, and they aren't the only thing out there in the price range.

But for someone who likes the sound of G&L MFD pickups and wants a new instrument in that price range, they are unbeatable (and I hope G&L sells a ton of them).
  14. MattFreemanRock

Nov 30, 2002
    True, but there are alot of kids playing bass that can't afford a new GL, and don't have a credit card to buy one on ebay, or something.
  15. I kind of like to think of them as the "Made in 'insert non-US country'" G&L's, like how the non-American Fenders are thought of. Nowadays most people accept Fenders for what they are no matter what the country. Maybe in a few years, after they've run their course, the Tributes will be seen the same way. I see them as every bit a replacement for the real thing if you're on a budget and don't care to look for a used one. Having seen one up close the craftsmanship looks pretty darn good. I just wish the setup wasn't so poor so I could've really tested it out. However, craigb says they sound pretty good, and I'll take his word for it.

However, for my next purchase, it's going to be a used US G&L, namely because I prefer the 1 1/2" at the nut neck, which I can hopefully find easy enough when I start shopping for one.