Tribute G&L L-2500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dviper, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Dviper

Aug 24, 2004
    New York, USA
    I'm looking for a bass for around $500-$700 USD. I was looking at the Tribute G&L L-2500 and i LOVE it! Everything about it is perfect, u can get so many difrent tones and sounds anything from metal to jazz. and i love the (active/passive/active with High and Bass boost) settings. The only thing thatr worried me is that on a review site i saw something about the electronics in the bass not being sheilded? is that something i should be concerned about? This is going to be my 2nd bass (been playing for 1 1/2 years). so should this issue stop me from buying this bass? Please help.
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have a Tribute L-2500 and it's just about perfect. The only problem I ever had was a buzz on the open G and that stopped when I changed strings. I've played mine around lots of electronics like TV's and computers and I've never had a problem with hum. I think the electronics are pretty well shielded plus the pickups are humbuckers which will also reduce noise.
  3. If you love it and it's an issue when you play it then sheild it.

It's not that big a deal to get done.....
  4. Dviper

Aug 24, 2004
    New York, USA
    Im a bit of a n00b :D how would i go about sheilding it?
  5. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I have an American made one and they are not shielded either. I've had zero problems with noise. As far as Tributes, if you like red ones, Oklahoma Vintage Guitar has 4 new ones up for sale on Ebay for a 499.00 Buy It Now price plus 29 bucks shipping.

6. Dviper

Aug 24, 2004
    New York, USA
    thanx, thats a very good price, but im looking for it in Blueburst with a maple neck
  7. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I've got a Standard and I have no noise prob, but a shielding job is fairly cheap and easy.
  8. Dviper

Aug 24, 2004
    New York, USA
    What exactly is sheilding? sorry, im totaly new to the electronics and make up of the bass, i just know how to play it :D
  9. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Ever watch TV while someone was vacuuming the room you were in? Notice how the picture would get fuzzy sometimes? (especially pronounced on older sets) Well shielding is the same basic problem. Electronic devices give off electro-magnetic waves, which can interfere with other electronics, and bass p'ups and electronics. They can cause hum and noise from your bass, shielding counteracts that by putting metal foil around the inside of the electronics compartment to insulate it from the waves.

Overall, it's not that big of a problem, it can get irritating, but nothing you can't fix with a littler aluminum tape yourself.
  10. Well....just my two cents here. First of all, gotta be careful about taking a reviewers word. Not that he/she would be lying about the buzz, but there are plenty of other causes of buzz, and I'd say a majority of people (which formerly included myself) just automatically associate it with a shielding problem in the bass. If these other guys here are telling you they don't have a problem, and you only see one or two reviewers saying they have one, it's likely something else.

I've owned five basess now, and every single one but my Peavey buzzed. I have no idea why it is the exception to the rule, but I'm glad it is. Anyway, I think my problem is my house is wired for two prong plugs, which doesn't allow for proper grounding of my amps.
  11. Dviper

Aug 24, 2004
    New York, USA
    alright, thanks. its all clear to me now. its like computer speakers? if u put a magnet up to a monitor it will get all funky, but the magnets in the speakers are sheilded so they dont screw up the monitor. same concept? I think i'll go ahead and get the Tribute G&L L-2500. unless is there anything else better for $600?
  12. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Indeed, same problem with computers. Also with Hi-Fi sets for giving Dolby Surround sounds where you have to put you centre speaker on top of the television. That one must always be shielded too.

I can't imagine which bass gives you more back for your 600 dollars. A G&L is a high quality instrument and the Tribute versions are very fine too. Easily you could say it costs twice as much. And what's a point too.... a G&L has real specific TONE... something manufacturers should be looking more for. The 2500 model saw Leo as the best bass he ever designed. If you like it...just buy it. ;)