Tribute G&L's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lsimy, Nov 7, 2003.

1. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Wow, I'm impressed. I just found out that a G&L dealer is literally 3 blocks from my office here in Alexandria, VA!!! I'm happy since I own a USA L2000 and love it.

I played 2 5-string Tributes, one rosewood and one maple. They are darn close to the USA models. Electronics sounded great, workmanship was very good and man, still have that awesome G&L ring and growl.

These are also a killer value for the money. The guy there had at least 4 in stock to choose from including some USA models to compare them to. I hope to get one soon.

If you are looking for some in stock, check this guy out at Acoustic Axis. I think the website is though I did not seem them listed. His prices were awesome. He'll ship too.

Thought I'd pass on the word. I'm sold.
  2. I haven't tried them, but the guitarist in my cover band tried their guitars and was very impressed.
  3. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Yeah, actually I picked up a tele style ASAT tribute guitar and it was just as nice. I can't believe the quality you get for the money.

I guess just more G.A.S. feeding with these more affordable lines, although even the USA series G&L's are a bargain IMO.
  4. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I just got back from trying the Tribute L-2500 at BassNW. It was awesome. Very nice neck and the electronics were very very versatile. The setup on these were great, too - awesome playability. I also tried the Lakland 55-01 and the Ken Smith Design Jazz and didn't think they were even close (although the Ken Smith looked and played NICE, after all the great tones I got from the Tribute, well...) The Tribute was also $100 less than the other two. The only unfortunate thing about them was the PUP selector on one was broken and there was a slight crack in the body of the other. So, I'm going to have to wait until more come in to find "mine". I was thinking of getting a used Stingray (and still might), this sure wasn't bad, especially since it was about $400 less than the used Ray...
  5. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

I tried 2 USA G&L 2500s at Mannys in Hollywood and they both sounded awful -- I have a bunch of G&L's already and was very surprised at how bad these 2500s sounded. Could have been the amp (a not very pleasing Hartke that I had set flat) because not much I tried that day sounded good at all. Or maybe I was just hungry (it WAS my lunch hour....)

The Tribute G&L 2500, however, actually sounded about the same as the USA models, but I have to differ with earlier posters on the quality. They are clearly inferior basses, IMO. The finish and the details are just slapped on, and the neck feels clunky and uncarved. Are the electronics are the same as the US basses? It may be a good deal for the money, but I'd rather go buy a used USA G&L and get the better workmanship...and spend about the same money as a new Tribute.

Just one cranky guy's opinion....YMMV.