1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tribute JB-2 - Which Dimarzio Model J's?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by bportune, Sep 29, 2009.

1. bportune

bportune

Apr 24, 2008
    I want to put a set of Dimarzio Model J pickups in my Tribute JB-2. The stock pickups measure out to be the same size as each other, so does the Dimarzio bridge/long pickup fit in both spots or is it a route job to make them fit at all?
    I would like to have a correct width pu at the neck also, but it seems like you would have to carve up the body and maybe install a pick-guard to cover up the gaps.

Anyone already installed a set of Model J's with any success in a Tribute JB-2?

Update: Turns out both are very close to Dimarzio's Neck J. Only took a slight bit of routing around the mounting tabs, as they are slightly narrower than the existing spaces. Appears unmodified to the naked eye (except for the new PU). I've only done the neck so far - sounds rich & full with the neck soloed - and dead quiet!

2. Mine's still stock, so I do not know the answer to your question, but don't forget to post a pic and join the Legion.

3. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    I'm not sure the measurements on the JB-2 pickups, but my model Js measure out at 3-9/16" for the neck pickup and just short of 3-3/4" for the bridge pickup. I believe that's pretty close to standard J specs.

So, not sure which one you'd need, but this way you can measure your own and figure it out. Any Dimarzio dealer should be able to get you a pair with the same lengths, but make sure you ask for it that way, otherwise you'll probably get the mixed set. Since they're individually humbucking, you don't need to worry about the polarity or wind direction.

And if you email the Dimarzio tech, they'll send you any wiring/switching diagrams you want (i.e. series/parallel w/ push/pull pots).

4. bportune

bportune

Apr 24, 2008
    Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately they measure out to be neither - both the same and closer to a standard neck J, but not close enough to do a clean job.

5. fender3x

fender3x

Mar 12, 2006
    Hmmm.... Can you give the size in mm? I will check mine tonight when I get home.

DiMarzio does have just great customer service... it might be worth asking them if they have a set that will fit.

Good to know if they don't, you're doing something I have thought of doing often...

6. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    JB-2 with a set of DP-123's? That'll sound wicked!