1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tribute L2500: which preamp to replace the stock pre?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sheepdog, Sep 9, 2005.

1. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    If I were to replace the preamp in a Tribute L2500, would the aguilar or the bartolini work better? Yes, I know the differences have been discussed in detail. Yes, I know the differences. What I am looking for is whether someone has specific experience combining G&L pickups with one of those preamps. I might be grabbing a good deal on a Natural/Maple used L2500 ($375 w/strap and bag). Some issues with the pots being noisy, so thinking of trading out the electronics.

2. B-flat?

B-flat?

May 16, 2004
    Portland, TX
    You should try changing out the bad pots first. The pre amp is great on my Tribby L-2500. :eyebrow:

3. marwady

marwady Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Northern Michigan
    Let me know if you decide not to buy it, I would be interested if it is in good shape.

Thanks

4. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

small burn on the headstock from a cigarette. body appears to be in good shape.

Link to the thread with the bass

if you want it, grab it. I would really like it, but I don't need to spend the money right now. I REALLY don't need to spend the money.

5. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    There is a run of G&L Tributes that have a lot of bad pots. If you call the G&L customer support, they will probably mail you some new pots, even if you did not buy the bass new.

The G&L preamp is matched with the MFDs. The MFDs are a unique pickup. They are hot.

Dave

6. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    G&L already shipped the current owner replacement pots and even a preamp. Only had a scratchy treble pot. Seems like good customer service...