Tribute L2500: which preamp to replace the stock pre?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sheepdog, Sep 9, 2005.

1. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    If I were to replace the preamp in a Tribute L2500, would the aguilar or the bartolini work better? Yes, I know the differences have been discussed in detail. Yes, I know the differences. What I am looking for is whether someone has specific experience combining G&L pickups with one of those preamps. I might be grabbing a good deal on a Natural/Maple used L2500 ($375 w/strap and bag). Some issues with the pots being noisy, so thinking of trading out the electronics.
  2. B-flat?

May 16, 2004
    Portland, TX
    You should try changing out the bad pots first. The pre amp is great on my Tribby L-2500. :eyebrow:
  3. marwady

marwady Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Northern Michigan
    Let me know if you decide not to buy it, I would be interested if it is in good shape.

4. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

small burn on the headstock from a cigarette. body appears to be in good shape.

Link to the thread with the bass

if you want it, grab it. I would really like it, but I don't need to spend the money right now. I REALLY don't need to spend the money.
  5. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    There is a run of G&L Tributes that have a lot of bad pots. If you call the G&L customer support, they will probably mail you some new pots, even if you did not buy the bass new.

The G&L preamp is matched with the MFDs. The MFDs are a unique pickup. They are hot.

6. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    G&L already shipped the current owner replacement pots and even a preamp. Only had a scratchy treble pot. Seems like good customer service...