1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tribute Neck Issues

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by ronin614, Apr 18, 2009.

1. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    OK...Is it just me?! I purchased my first Tribute L2000 a little over a month ago. I'm now on my third one. All three have had major buzz issues and I've taken them to two different local shops for set up. (And to make sure that it wasn't just an issue with the batch in the store that I was buying them from, they had one sent directly to me from G&L in California.) So here are my questions...1) Are there neck issues with these basses? 2) Are there any special techniques that are involved in their setup? 3) Is it possible that the set up guys at both shops are just complete potatoheads? 4) Has anyone else had these problems?
    I'm taking my newest one to an actual luthier on Monday to see if he can figure out what the problem is.
    I would really appreciate some answers as I love the looks, feel and tone of these basses, but my patience is running out.
    Thanks

2. I doubt that it's you unless you're doing the setup work. OTOH, if you're telling the tech doing the setup work to slam the action as low as possible, buzz could be part of the equation.

There are four factors at work here: nut slot depth, neck relief, neck tilt, and saddle height. They all must be set in consort with each other to deliver a desired playability. A good tech should know this and be able to adjust any or all to give you what you're asking for.

No more than any other bass. For one person to have three new basses that do the same thing tells me that this isn't a manufacturing problem.

Nope. Pretty standard stuff.

Absolutely. Also absolutely not.

Perhaps someone will speak up, but what you're describing is unusual in the extreme. Ask yourself what the chances are.

But let me ask you a question or three: Did you play these basses before they were set up by the technicians? Did they buzz then, or only after setup? If they buzzed beforehand, do basses from other manufacturers do the same thing?

This couldn't hurt. Good luck. Afterward, have the luthier watch you play the bass.

Ken...

3. Yep, three in a row is pretty surprising. Did you order them from somewhere that had a different climate? I know that can wreck havoc on basses.

John