1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tribute or a Real Brute?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm on good terms with a local merchant who let me put away a two pup SR5 on very reasonable terms. Although I adore the Stingray, I suspect that I will have to sacrifice my Fender Jazz V to afford it, which is a bit goofy, because I wanted an active to go with my passive. The solution would be to get a G&L Tribute L-2500 from the same dealer because I could afford to keep that bass and my Fender. I know G&Ls and Stingrays are apples and oranges, but i would like some feedback on this question. By the way, I would still have a nice passive bass if I got the SR5 HH. It would be my Peavey Foundation, which has monster output, but is a four string. that matters to me, because I usually play fives.

2. I looked into this a little while ago - there's actually a lot of discussion on this if you search.
    I found a lot of guys complained about the quality of finish on the Tribute's - especially the neck and frets. I can see what they're saying after demo'ing them - but the diff. seems subtle IMO.
    Unfortunately we don't get the non-Tribute's over here to test out.

Wasn't someone saying just recently they were appalled at the QC of new stingray's coming out?

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    i haven't heard anyone here complain about the quality of Stingrays. The one I have layed away is as sweet as any I have ever seen. As for Tributes. I have not seen any bad ones. Since they are really mass produced or could be hanging on shelves needing setups, I could see problems happening. I think a good dealer could take care of 85% of potential problems though.

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have definitely decided to go with the SR5 HH. It gets the traditional Stingray sound and so much more! I have noiced that over the last twenty years, I have owned more Stingrays than any other bass. I might as well be like Figjam and Bovinehost and be a fulltime MusicMan partisan since I always seem to come back to that brand.

That said, I love jazz style basses too. I will simply have to have one of each to be happy!:) :bassist: :cool:

5. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Good call :D

6. You can get real ones over here. There is a 'real' G&L warehouse in Sydney and there are two used L2000s at the Bass Player in Sydney at the moment. I know its across the country from you but plane tickets are very cheap these days. The Blue Sparkle L2000 they have at the bass player is one of the best basses I have ever played, it convinced me to buy a L2000 over a stingray or warwick. Unfortunatly they didn't have the colour I wanted with Natural Binding at the G&L Warehouse so I have to wait 18 weeks for it to come in stock!

If you are still looking and can afford the 3300 retail price of a new one I'm sure an extra couple of hundred to fly over to syd and check one out wouldn't be missed.

BTW They are asking 3000 for the blue sparkle as it is a custom colour and has a few options - its in mint condition. Very nice bass but Blue Burst is where its at ;)