Tribute Plus or Premium

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SoLoW, May 9, 2003.

1. SoLoW

May 6, 2003
    I'm interested in getting one of the new G&L Tribute basses, but I've come up with a dilema (however you spell it).
    I like the blue burst of the plus (and it's a little cheaper) but the premium has different wood. Is the ash alder (I think thats it) really that much better than the basswood. I would really prefer the blue rather than cherry or natural but I don't want to sacrifice too much sound difference. Enlighten me please.

Edit: Guess I should of told you all that doesn't know too much about the Tribute that the Plus is the basswood and has the Blue Burst, the Premium has the ash but doesn't have the Blue Burst look. The price difference is only like $20 dollars I think.

"Now it's time for me to make like a duck and get the flock outa here."

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have allways like their blueburst it is one of the best out their. Can you get the blueburst on ash i really dont know how good basswood is. Good luck
  3. SoLoW

May 6, 2003
    I looked on Musician's Friend and the ash doesn't have the blue. Not sure why but it stinks.
  4. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    i was also wondering if the woods are that much different since i also like the blueburst
  5. SoLoW

May 6, 2003
    Anybody? Am I alone in here or just impatient.....probably impatient.
  6. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Ash is usually more valued than basswood IMO. I'm not sure of the exact tonal quality of basswood, but it is pretty nice, its cheap too. The only problem with the basswood is that it is soft which means your bass will chip easier.
  7. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I have an opinion here...

I own a USA L2500, in blueburst. It's basswood, with a swamp ash top. I would definately choose ash over basswood for sound... that said, basswood doesn't sound bad, it's entirely just my preference.

I say try both, and see which sound you like better.

As well, someone said that because basswood is softer it chips easier, but I've not experienced that. I've had a couple of knocks on my bass and it's held up remarkably well.

So just give them a try.