Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tribute SB-2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jammin'John, Jan 13, 2005.

1. I found a Tribute SB-2 at a dealer in 3-tone sunburst for $459.
    Why did they stop makin' this model ? :confused:
    Is it worth gettin' ? :confused:
    Is basswood any good ? :rolleyes:

JJ

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If it is like any other Tributes, it is a great bass at a great price. Basswood is fine. Some pretty expensive basses use it.

3. Czar

Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    1. They stopped making them because they didnt sell well
    2. Yes..great bass, but you may be albe to find a used USA SB2 for about the same price.
    3. Basswood is a great tone wood. Dents easy but has nice tone

4. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    They should start making a Tribute JB-2.

Then Fender wouldn't sell one J anymore....

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    They do make a tribute JB-2. I've seen them on the net at BassNW. I don't know if they have one now.

6. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    The site of G&L itself doesn't say so... a pity they don't make JB-2 5 strings as well...

7. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

The Tribute JB-2 was not a production model. I read somewhere that only 12 were made and BassNW bought them all (and have sold all but one.

I wouldn't pay $459 for a Tribute, especially the basswood one (I guess I'm a wood snob). I've had a lot of used US SB-2s and they ranged in price from under $400 to just over $500 depending on condition, case, etc. So for that price I'd wait for a use US one. For $300 or less I'd go Tribute (and I think the new price on the Tribute JB-2 is less than you are going to find a used US JB-2 for because that model hasn't been around very long).