Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tribute vs. USA

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris J, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Can anyone tell me the difference between G&L tribute and USA made basses? I assume the Tribute is made overseas somewhere but I can't really seem to find the major difference which would explain the price difference. Any help? :confused:

2. The U.S. model has better hardware, better neck contruction (bi-cut) and better electroniics. Pups are the same. Longer warranty.

3. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    do a search, there was a recent thread on this issue

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The Tribute and USA models are close but I can see the difference in construction. The USA has a nice set of steel threaded screws for the neck connection. The overall finish is better and the tone of USA basses is better, however, the Tribute I had for about six months had a tighter B string than any USA L-2500 I played except for one.

5. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I looked through all those threads recently and it seems the US model is slightly better than the Tribute (Korean?) model. The pots seem to have been scratchy on a lot of the tribs, but G&L has most likely addressed that problem by now.

By far the best idea I heard was to get the tribute from Buffalo Brothers. If you want the US model later on you can get back 100% of the purchase price in the form of a trade in allowance (have to get into a more expensive instrument by at least $100.00). I'm not sure if you would have a problem with that being in Canada, but that's what I'm doing for sure. Of course I have a guitar hanging around that I don't ever play and bought from Buffalo Bros last year for $370.00.