Tribute vs. USA

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris J, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Can anyone tell me the difference between G&L tribute and USA made basses? I assume the Tribute is made overseas somewhere but I can't really seem to find the major difference which would explain the price difference. Any help? :confused:
  2. The U.S. model has better hardware, better neck contruction (bi-cut) and better electroniics. Pups are the same. Longer warranty.
  3. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    do a search, there was a recent thread on this issue
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The Tribute and USA models are close but I can see the difference in construction. The USA has a nice set of steel threaded screws for the neck connection. The overall finish is better and the tone of USA basses is better, however, the Tribute I had for about six months had a tighter B string than any USA L-2500 I played except for one.
  5. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I looked through all those threads recently and it seems the US model is slightly better than the Tribute (Korean?) model. The pots seem to have been scratchy on a lot of the tribs, but G&L has most likely addressed that problem by now.

By far the best idea I heard was to get the tribute from Buffalo Brothers. If you want the US model later on you can get back 100% of the purchase price in the form of a trade in allowance (have to get into a more expensive instrument by at least $100.00). I'm not sure if you would have a problem with that being in Canada, but that's what I'm doing for sure. Of course I have a guitar hanging around that I don't ever play and bought from Buffalo Bros last year for $370.00.