1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

trick for dealing with nails for cats and dogs

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by buldog5151bass, Mar 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I hate cutting the nails of dogs - anyone who has ever cut too far and drawn blood knows , never mind they don't usually like it. The trick? I found that a dremel tool, with the sanding drum, works great. No actual cutting, so the animal gets used to it easily, and it is easy to shape the nail.

JimK likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I've heard this before, actually, and if you do go a bit too far, the dremel can actually cauterize it and help stop the bleeding, if I remember right.

3. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    I don't know about dogs, but I'm thinking the cats will see a close relationship between the dread vacuum cleaner and a dremel. Also, with cats I find it pretty easy (easier when I didn't have to juggle which darn pair of glasses would let me focus on them) to spot the quick before cutting - and that can be much harder to do with dogs, as their nails are more opaque in general.

murphy and pcake like this.
  4. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

My wife once cut a nail too far and then we could not stop the bleeding. Now my wife is afraid to cut them so we take him to a pet store and they have a person who just trims the nails. My dog hates the vacuum so I don't think he would do well with a dremel motor whining. But thanks for the suggestion.

5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
  6. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2011
    New Orleans
  7. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
  8. Careful to not cut too close.

index.
    Here Tripod... here kittty kitty

Radio likes this.
  9. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Really??? If you just cut the hooky end of the cats claws it should never bleed

Take it easy ...and don't cut too much off....OUCH!

10. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Wow..that cat needs to be neutered

11. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

You can't take them out for a pedicure? Wouldn't Fluffy look cute with glitter claws?

12. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Bulldogs don't wear sparkles. They EAT people who do...

Attached Files:

slobake likes this.
  13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...wife has been using a Dremel for years.
    FYI: The Dremel Tool is better than the Pedipaws ripoff. :)

14. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Great for razor cuts. On your own face, I mean.

Wife and I use one of those squeeze-trimmers. No recollection of the name, but our cats like it well enough.

slobake likes this.
  15. One cut a a time. :eek:

16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Perfect solution! Leave them outside and let them keep their claws. :D

Sorry. Just a little hit and run. You inside pet people carry on with your thread. ;)

17. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    1. I always train dogs and cats to enjoy having me touch their paws, and then nail trimming is part of the pet bonding experience
    2. I walk my dogs daily, on concrete/asphalt, and the nails just kind of handle themselves
    3. De-clawing cats is MUTILATION

murphy likes this.
  18. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Also...I use my own nail clippers for people...Tried those animal ones and do not like them

19. I asked a Vet, because I was concerned about how to clip a cat's claws without hitting the cuticle which causes bleeding.

Normally it's fairly difficult to determine where the dead claw husk ends and the raw bloody tissue begins.

However when I mentioning this to a Vet, he mentioned shining a flashlight UNDER the nail to see where the hollow nail point ends and the blood-filled flesh begins.

Genius. And simple.

20. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Another advantage to grinding rather than cutting. You don't risk taking off too big a chunk.