1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trick or Treat for dummies

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gazman, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Okay, each year I dread Halloween, because more and more children are out door knocking for goodies on Halloween night.

It's not really an Australian tradition, so in the past I've turned kids away, empty handed just because I don't really keep sweets or chocolates in the house.

So what are the rules, if there is no treat, what is the trick?

Should we reward only the people who are dressed in costume?

What is an acceptable treat? Fruit, carrots or Ritalin capsules?

Anybody want to share their own rules for handing out treats?

2. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

A can of mace is often a really good response to trick-or-treaters...

OK actually, depends on the custom where you are. Around here, if you're participating, you put up Halloween decorations and jack-o-lanterns outside the house and leave your outdoor lights on. Trick-or-treaters won't normally come to an undecorated house with no lights. But that practice may not be established where you are - ask the neighbors. The "trick" part has pretty much died off except for teenagers who go on vandalism rampages (unrelated to "treats") and generally wind up getting arrested.

We do sometimes get teenagers (again... grr...) who don't bother with anything more than throwing a sheet over their head for a "costume." I think you're within bounds to tell someone who didn't even try to come back when they've made an effort.

Handing out carrots, or anything healthy, would be a great way to get the trick-or-treaters not to bother coming again next year. Word spreads. Kids want candy. You also get the houses that hand out pencils and things.

3. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Well, for starters there's usually a "signal" that you have treats for the kids. IE, if your house is decorated for Halloween and your porch lights are on, that's an invitation to kids to knock on your door. Lights out = no candy, don't knock.
    The kids are expected to be in costume, though it's not unheard of for some to not be.
    Treats usually = small candy bars, small toys, trinkets and such. Occasionally it's money like 25 cent coins, etc. Once in a while some health freak will be handing out apples or bananas. No carrots though. That would be inhuman.

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Really? In our parts Ive been seeing less and less.
    Im interested to see what Halloween will look like in my new neighborhood.

If there is no treat, you get tricked. Watch for flying rolls of TP and/or Eggs.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I have no treats to give. Leave me alone. If I hear the thwack of an egg hitting my door, I have eggs too and a good throwing arm.

6. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    Ice cubes.

7. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    LOL @ the responses so far. I like kids and I like halloween so this is a fun time for me. If it's not fun for you don't worry about it, just leave the porch light off and don't open the door.

There's a guy in the neighborhood who does a 2 minute magic act and he doesn't give out candy. It's a nice change for children who've been collecting sweets all night. Some people really go over board and basically do the whole haunted house schtick on their porch or entryway. Some people trade treats for a trick from the kids, that was really common when I was a kid.

Are you really considering not giving a treat to a child who isn't dressed up? Hey it's your rules, you can do that, but I tend to think of it more as whoever shows up at the door, parents included, are welcome to grab some candy.

You can dress up or not, most people don't, a large minority do.

For treats, don't give out anything that could have allergens. These days that means no items with any nuts.

Some people give little cheap toys, most give little sampler "fun size" of various candies or a lollipop or whatever. Some people bake special treats, some give fresh fruit. I remember I got a homemade candied apple one time as a kid, probably wouldn't go over well with most parents these days. Probably best to stick with prepackaged untampered with things.

Just look at it as a way to meet your neighbors. A lot of times this is a 4 or 5 year old's first chance to feel independent so the parents will stand at the end of the drive and kid will have to make it to your front door.

I've also seen lazy folks just put a bucket of candy outside the door.

8. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Soup, ladled into the bag. Tasty, tasty soup. Or, stew.

9. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011

Best. Idea. Ever.

10. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Halloween's supposed to be scary, right? So come and knock my door.

:eek:

11. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Not THAT scary!

12. TP, shave cream, eggs? Paintball.

13. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Yeah, last year I think I might have looked a little over the top when opening the front door. This year, I'm just going for the Jack Nicholson look with the axe. The chainsaw can stay in the shed.

14. No costume... no candy

15. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Was it the polka-dotted boxers and lack of shirt??
    If so, I don't think that you'll have to worry about anyone ringing the bell this season! :p

16. It's a sort of unwritten code here that you only go to houses that have their porch light on. If you don't have candy to give out, or just don't want to, keep your porch light off and don't answer the door if someone does knock/ring the doorbell.

17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    They are freaking KIDS. Give them some candy. There's nothing unhealthy about the holiday. It is just good clean FUN. Kids run around and ask for candy. We give it to them. End of story. There is no underlying plot. They ask. We give. I don't care if they have a costume. I don't even care if they are (by some standards) "too old". It is just GIVING CANDY TO KIDS! Why does even THAT have to come with its own set of RIDICULOUS RULES and GUIDELINES? Aren't we regulated ENOUGH?

(takes a breath)

Yeah. Kids come to the door and ask. You give them candy. Don't over think it. They are children. Just make their day and give them some freakin CANDY! Any other way of doing it is just you being a jerk. Children....... candy....... give it to them........ they smile......... everybody is happy........... stop being a jerk.

Did I mention they are CHILDREN?????? Kids. Young'uns. Children. Just make them smile and give them the candy.

Don't be a jerk. Just give them the candy....... because they are children celebrating and having a good time........ on a holiday............. so don't be a jerk..........

Let. Go. Of. The. Freaking. Candy.

Kids........ candy. Buy the candy. Hand it to the kids. They smile and go away. You aren't a jerk any more.

Stop! Whatever you are going to say is probably wrong. Just go buy the freaking candy and hand it to the kids. Anything else is wrong. Just do it. It's a holiday, and it is FUN for CHILDREN. Don't be that guy. Just buy the candy and hand it over.

Shhhhhh....... Buy candy. Hand it out.

Ready? Go! ....... to the store to buy candy............ for the children........... to give to them........ when they come to your door

:eyebrow:

18. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    My house is fairly isolated, and we have a long driveway, a big "Do Not Trespass" sign, and eight dogs.

If any kid ever mustered the courage to trick or treat us, (no one EVER has,) I would give him/her $20.00

19. Interesting responses guys, even the experts disagree,

Two Fingers, how long have you been Marketing Manager at Nestle?

I might go with Kinder Surplrise Egss for the costumed kids, and Scotch eggs for the ones who couldn't be bothered dressing up.

20. pre-prepare some toffee onions for the little brats :bag: