1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Featured Trickfish Amplification Announces the Minnow Bass Preamp

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Oct 7, 2019.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    Houston, TX – October 7, 2019 – The Minnow is a high quality, low noise bass preamp DI pedal equipped with our Bullhead EQ section. This single channel Bullhead preamp features shelving EQ’s for the BASS and TREBLE controls and variable band pass EQ’s for the LO MID and HI MID. A selectable mid frequency for both LO MID and HI MID controls provide complete control over the midrange. We've also added a HI SHIFT to the TREBLE frequency to further tune the cut/boost capability of the TREBLE control. In addition, the Minnow preamp includes a tuner out for silent tuning and a balanced XLR output for use as a DI, great for both live and studio use.

Minnow Features:
    • Low noise solid state preamp
    • Input Level Indicator: Signal level and Clip LEDs (green/red)
    • Low noise solid state Preamp
    • 4 Band EQ (+/- 12dB) with switchable Mid
    • Shelving Bass and Treble
    • Low-Mid and Hi-Mid - Variable Gain, Band Pass EQ with selectable frequency/bandwidth
    • Hi-Shift treble frequency selection
    • Silent Tuning with Mute Footswitch
    • 600 Ohm Balanced XLR Direct Out with Pre/Post and Ground Lift
    • Steel Chassis
    • (H x W x D in.) 6.05" x 4.85" x 1.73"
    • (H x W x D mm) 153.8mm x 123.4mm x 44.1mm
    • Made in the USA

The Trickfish Minnow is now shipping with a street price of $329, available directly from www.trickfishamps.com

trickfish-amplification-minnow-release.

herndonbassist and DJ Bebop like this.
  2. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    They presumably chose "minnow" because it's smaller than their amps, but come on, "minnow?"

DJ Bebop, DrMole and HeavyJazz like this.
  3. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

I've rarely gone fishing and hardly know anything about them other than the fact that I like how fish tastes, but do you have better suggestions that are (a) not a turnoff like anchovy, sardine, or herring (b) signal a small footprint (even though it's not actually not that small), (c) is in line with the ichthyological brand, AND finally (d) is a well known species?

pellomoco14 likes this.
  4. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Unless they're hyping the idea that it's smaller than other preamps (doesn't look like it) I don't see a need to use the name of a small fish. Even if they were trying to promote it as a smaller preamp they could use Baby Bullhead or Bullhead Jr, any number diminutives, etc. Bullhead is a type of shark so it's "on brand" to use the name of any number of shark species.

5. GentProvocateur

totally agree with this. Wasn't sure where you were going with your first post

matante likes this.
  6. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Piranha

matante and GentProvocateur like this.
  7. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    The mute button is superfluous to me. I guess if you use a clip on tuner then maybe but most people who have a pedal board use a pedal tuner that mutes. Seems like the design could have gone even smaller. Or if you want to make something that size then add a limiter/compressor that would be way more useful than the mute. IMO only.

8. GentProvocateur

Ooo fudge that’s a great idea

9. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I really like the Trickfish Blue color

matante likes this.
  10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ha! That's TB for you. Let's not talk about the specs (which seem pretty versatile). Let's bicker over something REALLY important.... like the name. :roflmao:

With all the dumb pedal names out there, you guys are gonna worry over this one???

Looks like a cool pre pedal to me.

11. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    Killer looking pedal Ryan. Lots of cool, useful features. Well done!

12. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    What is the actual noise specification? ( I downloaded the manual but it's not specified in there...)

13. gregbackstrom

gregbackstrom Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    It’s a KILLER pedal! I used it last week with a Peavey IPR2-5000 and the new Audiokinesis TC115, ver4 with the secondary up-firing tweeter. The sound was awesome!!

two fingers likes this.
  14. gregbackstrom

gregbackstrom Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    The Trickfish stuff is all based on Mike Pope’s MPP-series preamps. These were all super-fidelity, super low noise designs. I have the Bullhead 1K amp and the new Minnow, and they’re both totally silent with respect to noise. I also wish their manuals were better-written. But IMO, the gear itself is as good as it gets!

pellomoco14 likes this.
  15. Trickfish website added this to the spec. sheet.
    high band centers 4khz(low)/ 8khz(high).

16. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    Looks interesting but would be nice to be able to actually hear the pedal in the demo video.

17. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I like the name and the graphic and that’s top grade equipment right there.

18. SaucyJackBass

SaucyJackBass Supporting Member

May 6, 2009
    If it was the USS Minnow you'd have to take it on a 3 hour tour......

BostonJazz72 and Dee-man like this.
  19. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I like the mute. Allows you to have a tuner NOT in your signal chain. Nice to have the option to mute, but not have to have one more thing in the signal chain.
    If I was plugging straight into an amp, and the amp had a mute, I often used to used the tuner out on the amp, with a pedal tuner.

Saw a Jazz trio the other night and the bass player had one of the best tones I've ever heard. At the set break I checked out his rig, and it was all Trickfish - 2x110 and Bullethead.

20. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I guess so. I use multiple effects so the tuner in the signal path is a nonissue to me.

hennessybass likes this.