Trickfish Amplification Ships New Bullhead.5k Bass Amplifier

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, May 26, 2017.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    Trickfish Amplification is now fulfilling orders for the Bullhead.5K bass amplifier which debuted at Winter NAMM 2107. Anticipation for the lower priced head has been growing as the amplifier sets a new performance standard in affordable bass amplification. Featuring the acclaimed Mike Pope low noise pre-amp integrated with a tour proven, 500W @ 8Ohm/ 700W @ 4Ohm Class D power amplifier, the BH.5K offers all of the professional features and performance expected of a Trickfish product at a street price of just $799.00. Housed in a robust aluminum chassis, the powerful head offers a wide variety of tone-shaping capabilities via a 4-band EQ with 8 frequency select options. Other features include selectable input sensitivity, aux input, Pre/Post Balanced DI Output, Parallel EFX loop, amp mute, convection cooling and a Neutrik Speakon combi-connector. Weighing in at a paltry 6lbs, the BH.5K also sports classic “chickenhead knobs” for easy, fast adjustments and the rack-mountable chassis is powder coated in a durable, Deep Sea Blue matte finish.

“Philosophically we are about inclusion, participation and the proliferation of great music. We want every player, regardless of income, to have a sound of which they can be proud. And this year we set out to build something that any aspiring, committed musician could buy – not just an elite few. The Point 5 was a tremendous engineering challenge and the team rallied to create what I feel is a masterpiece product that is affordable for a majority of bassists’ worldwide.” states Trickfish founder Richard Ruse. “We embarked on an important mission to build a reasonably priced amp that any professional could count on to deliver the dynamics, tone-shaping capability and the power they may need to sound and play their best. And this amp actually gets a little gnarly and gritty when you push it hard – something you don’t get with the BH1K so, if you’re a Rock, Blues, R&B, pop, jazz kind of player you’ll find that edginess appealing…” says Ruse.

Located in Southern California, Trickfish Amplification designs and builds professional grade musical instrument amplification products created to inspire musicians to play and sound their best.

Learn, Explore and Shop @ www.trickfishamps.com • email: info@trickfishamps.com

Bullhead.5K-back (1). Bullhead.5K-front (1). Bullhead.5K-angle (1).

2. dave19er

dave19er

May 19, 2007
    I'm really leaning hard towards getting one of these. Really curious to hear what people think of them once they've played them a bit.

3. BostonJazz72

BostonJazz72 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Chicago
    I bet it will be pretty killer. These heads are a bit new but I did find a demo on the 1k.

dave19er likes this.
  4. dave19er

dave19er

May 19, 2007
    Yeah! Thanks for posting that. I'd come across that demo in my searches previously. I really liked the tone he was getting, and I know the preamps between the two amps are the same/similar. I just wish I could try before I buy (but then, I can't easily try any of the other amps I've been looking at - Denver is kind of a bass desert). In lieu of that, I rely on videos and posts from the knowledgeable people here.

ryanowens likes this.
  5. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer
    Roscoe Guitars has one at their shop with two 12" cabs. These amps and cabs sound pretty amazing, good solid bass and a lot of punch. If I was in a position to upgrade my Streamliner 900/Epifani UL410 setup, I would definitely get this with the 12" cabs.

BostonJazz72 and ryanowens like this.
  6. BostonJazz72

Nov 30, 2010
    Chicago
    I think the .5 k would sound great too! I think you can find used 1k here if you are lucky and keep seaching. The used 1k is same price as new .5k.

dave19er likes this.
  7. dave19er

dave19er

May 19, 2007
    I almost pulled the trigger on one of the 1k that was on here a couple weeks ago, but I decided to hold out and see how these ended up being (mostly based - bassed? - on how the .5k gets a bit gritty when pushed. I like that. Or at least, I like having that option.).

8. BostonJazz72

Nov 30, 2010
    Chicago
    I think either way you can't go wrong with this company and products. If I already didn't buy a new amp and preamp this would be on my list.

dave19er likes this.
  9. dave19er

dave19er

May 19, 2007
    I think you're probably right! I kind of think we're living in a golden age of bass amplification right now. I never imagined, when lugging my Bassman 135 or solid state Ampeg head to gigs, that we'd get to the point of having amazing sounding amps that weigh five or six pounds. And now I'm looking to pick up a class D amp, but almost have paralysis from all the great options that are available.

10. BostonJazz72

Nov 30, 2010
    Chicago
    It's amazing time for sure! I can fit my Baby Sumo amp and Arkham preamp in a backpack. Good luck.

dave19er likes this.
  11. bassclef04

bassclef04 Bass and Beyond! Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    last thing i need is another amp gas!!

BostonJazz72 and dave19er like this.
  12. My son bought the .5 and it showed up two days ago. He plays it through a vented 2x12 DIY cab he and I built a few years ago that's loaded with Eminence speakers. It sounds absolutely AMAZING, and it feels lighter than my Little Mark III. Clean, punchy, just a bit of grit. He plays a six string Spector and is a prog guys who plays as many notes as he can fit into a song (he's got WAY better chops than his old man, and I continually tell him if he'd just slow down that there's some amazing musing in between all those notes, but that's a topic for a different thread), and it handles highs and lows equally well. I have to admit, it's the first case of GAS I've had in years, and if I was gigging more than once a month I'd buy one tomorrow.

On a customer service note, the owner of the company actually reached out and friended him on Facebook, which I thought was really cool.

BostonJazz72, bassclef04 and dave19er like this.
  13. dave19er

dave19er

May 19, 2007
    Aw man. This is exactly what I did not want to hear. ;)

Thanks for the review! I'm thinking I'm gonna have to pick up one of these amps.

14. bassclef04

bassclef04 Bass and Beyond! Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    The grit tone optional or when the amp is really pushed?

15. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer
    You can increase the gain and lower the main to a point where when you dig in hard you kind of get the tube distortion/overdrive sound. It is almost like you mated a Mark III with a Genz Benz Shuttle Max 6.2. You get super clean punch or you can dial in the grit. I am a Genz Benz guy, I have my first GBE600 (bought it 18 years ago), Shuttle 6, ShuttleMax 12 and a Streamliner 900. I would take the Trickfish over any of those.

ryanowens and dave19er like this.
  16. BostonJazz72

Nov 30, 2010
    Chicago
    Great review. If I didn't already buy some new amp gear this would be high on my list. Seems like a great product built by a great company.

ryanowens and dave19er like this.
  17. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works, Honey Badger Pickups, Westone Audio
    I've got a BH1k and a Glockenklang Blue Soul. Both are great amps, but I'd take the Trickfish over the Glock hands down. The TF just has such a full, articulate response. Every note has authority and girth, but it's NEVER muddy. Great bottom, very clear mids, and a really smooth top end. I do a lot of studio work and the TF sounds more like going through a great signal chain in a well-equipped studio than any amp I've previously had. I used Genz Benz (SM9.2) and PJB (D-600, Super Flightcase) for years, but the Trickfish is on another level of purity and punch.

I did check out the .5k at NAMM, and I'm pretty stoked to get one of those at some point. It's got a little more grit in the top end than the 1k, but the same authority in the low end. I love the simplicity of it, as well. The EQ points are dialed in perfectly to get just about anything you need out of it.

One of my bands had a guest keyboardist sit in for a gig last weekend and after I played one or 2 notes, he turned and looked at my amp (BH1k and SM112) and said "that sounds GREAT! It's so clear and no boom." He also owns a post-production facility and a great recording studio. So there's that...

18. deluxejusa

deluxejusa

Jan 30, 2012
    Hoping more video reviews begin to surface. I love my GB Shuttle 9.2, but this may soon be replacing it.

dave19er and ryanowens like this.
  19. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works, Honey Badger Pickups, Westone Audio
    I loved the transparency and immediacy of the FET channel in my ShuttleMax 9.2, and I always wished I could get a Shuttle 9.2 with just a FET channel and no tube (the tube channel was a bit mushy for me). The Bullhead 1k has the same transparency of the SM9.2 FET channel, but with a fuller body to each note, even on a high C string.

The BH.5K has a very similar output amp to what the Shuttle 9.2 has (an ICE module), but the EQ on the TF preamp is more useful, IMO, than the EQ on the 9.2. I always felt the mid-band Q was a little too narrow. The midrange bandpass filters in the TF have very usable bandwidths. They make noticeable changes over a broader range of frequencies that have a very good impact on the overall tone of the bass.

dave19er and ryanowens like this.
  20. dave19er

dave19er

May 19, 2007
    Thanks for the review and sharing that video!

lowfreqgeek likes this.