Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tricky Fingering ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by *ToNeS*, Jul 23, 2001.

1. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    i was wondering what people thought the hardest song/riff/solo to get your fingers around was ? for me, it's gotta be the verse riff in the Chili Pepper's "Mellowship Slinky In B Major" ... damn that figure pisses me off ! :mad: :)
    so, what are the most awkward songs you've ever encountered and why ?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The stuff from Watchtower can be pretty tricky...it used to drive me wild (I still was quite a beginner at bass at the time). I had to break it into miniscule pieces and practice them separately and paste it together afterwards. We're talking months here! But I learned a lot from it.

Jaco's chromatic fantasy, Alan Holdsworth stuff, there's lots of tricky fingering stuff around.

3. mellowship isnt hard if you dont think about it...Just relax your hands and get funky!

4. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    its not "hard" as such, the pattern is just really awkward to get around initially. i like that originality, and i was hoping for a few more riffs with that kind of uncovential structure.

5. Mellowship in slinky B major is piss easy and I'm only 18 . The hardest bassline I can play is probably Coffee Shop the 2 solos in that song are amazing the wah wah slap solo is crazy and is hard to play but the finger solo at the end is so fast . The thing with hard bass lines is they just take patience to learn

6. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    for god's sake are you f*cking deaf ? i said "AWKWARD" riffs and stuff, not necessarily HARD ones, ok ?! jeezus christ ...

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    There's a section in "Natural Science" by Rush (off of Permanent Waves) that I find impossible to play unless the action is set really low. It's the section that goes C#/B/C#/B etc. in eighth notes as the song picks up.

I can play it well on my Spector, but cannot play it on my MIM Jazz.

Come to think of it, I have a harder time playing this song than either YYZ or La Villa Strangiato!

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    People, keep it clean.

Hard riffs? "Donna Lee" is pretty hard...

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    For the part in that RHCP song, just outline the chord with your hands like you're going to strum the entire chord, and then it's just a matter of muting.

Yeah, BW, "Donna Lee" is a wee bit tricky!

10. That doesn't work for me, because right before the weird run, you have to hit a low B on the 7th fret of the E, so holding the chord makes it harder IMO. Tones, I know what you mean, it's akward to stretch your fingers in that way across the whole fretboard (especially with my baseball bat necked P-bass), it's not really a matter of speed or dexterity.

11. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    thank you ! finally, someone understands :) and Donna Lee ... tell me 'bout it. Jaco was a freak. apologies for the language, Big Wheel.

12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

That is pretty much how I played that song. Seemed a lot easier (for me anyway) to do it that way.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Depends what you mean - it's just a bebop tune and fairly standard changes. I've played bass on it in Jazz workshops and it's way down the list of "hard" or "awkward" Jazz tunes!