1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tricky parts that you can never nail.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Harper, May 30, 2012.

1. Harper

Harper

Nov 10, 2001
    I should preface this by saying that I've never been one to learn a song unless it's something that I'm going to play in a band. I could name you my ten favorite bassists, but I've never actually sat and learned their bass lines. I'm more into the whole package (their band, tone, attitude, etc.) than I am the actual notes. Still, I'm a pretty decent player who knows plenty of songs and has never hurt for a gig.

That being said....

Every few months I'll hear a flash part and think "Wow! I've got to learn that!" For example (and this one comes up for me yearly), that unison lick at the beginning of Rush's "Spirit of Radio" caught my ear and blew me away. I've tried to learn this one several times in the past to no avail. Even slowed down it escapes me. I don't lose a lot of sleep over this, as not being able to play that bit is hardly going to crush me as a musician...still, I'd be pretty impressed with myself if I nailed it.

2. I have trouble with that lick,but 'Roundabout" by Yes is something I never could play right. I know the bass player doubled his bass with a acoustic or a classical guitar. I Got to open for Rush back in the 1970's. I wonder if his action is set low to give him that growling tone. GT.