1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tricky roomate issue, how to solve?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Linas, May 11, 2011.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I have a big problem on my hands. My lease ends in august and I was planning on moving out because my current roommate is a violent, alcoholic, insubordinate, rude, non paying bills on time, cat abusing, chair throwing, i can go on...

Instead of moving out, i have decided, why be intimidated by this prick i've been living with, and just get a new roommate. There are 3 of us in the house, and the other has experienced and agrees with my sentiment towards the other roomie.

The landlord is on my side, as I have been living in buildings of his for the past 6 years with and am on a friendly personal basis with him. And I pay him on time.

The question is, how do i get this problem roommate out at the end of the lease while causing as little blowout as possible. Like i said, he is violent, and has a short fuse. Another issue is, he is in the same social circle i am in. The problem is, he only acts out while at home. Around the group hes the coooooool melllloow dude. Not the case for my daily living circumstance when he comes home at 1am after being at the bar (daily basis) and is generally an angry, aggressive individual. So im trying to keep bad blood and awkwardness to a minimum as we do see eachother in social settings often.

Any ideas??? Seriously roommate from hell.

2. the dude you are a great friend but you suck as a roommate speech.

it is like dude get out but friendlier.

i would suggest delivering it intervention style.

3. Blort

Blort Banned

Apr 23, 2011
    Detroit, Michigan
    I have dealt with the worst of roommates over the years. Probably even ones worse than yours.

- First thing to consider is legal issues. Once the lease is up, can you legally kick him out? Keep in mind, not paying rent on time and causing disturbances can be grounds for an eviction.

- If you are on good terms with your landlord and other roomate, my best advice is to get you three together, talk about the situation, and figure out what to do next. If legal issues are in place, perhaps issue the douche roomate a warning.

- To ease the tension, maybe talk to the douche roomate and tell him the situation, and give him one clear warning not to continue his behavior, or else he's out.

4. Blort

Blort Banned

Apr 23, 2011
    Detroit, Michigan
    Ohh, and if he's a violent alcoholic, do you best to do all of this while he's sober. Don't do this while he's buzzed up.

5. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    "I love you, man...you know I do, right bro? But..."

6. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Hes not even a great friend. I wouldn't consider him a friend at all. He is just friends with some people I hang out with which might cause some weird loyalty issues, as they dont see him acting like a psycho, and i might be considered the "bad guy" for wanting him out.

7. if thats the case man up and be the "bad guy". if your friends have loyalty issues they weren't really your friends to begin with.

8. Blort

Blort Banned

Apr 23, 2011
    Detroit, Michigan
    Screw loyalty issues. Living under those conditions is stressful and unnecessary.

Do what you can to solve the problem the best you can.

9. Unless you have clear legal grounds to do anything, good luck with that. In ca its borderline impossible to evict in a timely manner. What did he sign? Did he put down a deposit? Does he have collateral? Your landlord can't evict him tomorrow even if he is in clear violation. By august? You will have to boot him sneaky. You will have no legal grounds to do it so soon.

10. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Have you tried proposing a menage-a-trois?

11. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Kick him the hell out, and call the po-lice if he tries anything stupid.

12. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    Did you post a few month's back about the same situation, regarding an incident with your cat? Or maybe not.

It would be better if you could get your other roommates there when you break it to him, that can't go on, not with that kind of behavior. He doesn't seem to respect others feeling's, I wouldn't go too much out of my way to consider his. He does sound like a bad drinker for sure, with a bit of an anger management problem.

13. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    This is the best idea, start coming on to him...tell him you are having "feelings" for him. If he's at all homophobic, he'll move out on his own.

14. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    No roommates would easily solve this issue. I got rid of my roommate by telling him we dont need him no moe.

15. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    eh...that could easily go the other way as well. oops.

16. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    No risk, no reward.

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Tell him you're moving, but don't tell him where. Since you have a good relationship with the landlord, have him rent another unit in the same complex to you. Then move.

18. Actium

Actium

Jan 15, 2011
    Considering the whole alcoholic part there won't be a chance to do it while he is sober because he is not a sober person.

Kick him out or ninja move to another apt. I'm sure the landlord would help you with that. Sounds like he has had a bunch of chances to not behave that way. Why make another lease and be stuck with him longer when he won't change?

19. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Man up. Taking decisions and making your point sometimes means not appearing as the good guy.
    It doesn't matter the least.

20. Cabazon

Cabazon

Jan 20, 2009
    If he's on the lease, I'd go with the moving to another apartment deal.
    If he's not, just tell him to leave, and if he doesn't, tell the police about it.