Tricky Stage crew

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by xring, Jan 23, 2006.

1. xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Well I finally played my first gig in maybe 15 years. It was a rather large crowd of 1200. In the rush of getting ready for sound check, the stage manager was shown the balanced out on my Ampeg. I just said "do whatever you need with the ground lift". I had set the pre / post switch to post out of course. No big deal, but I wanted my very light compression and maximizer in the mix. After the gig, I checked the switch, and (of course) he had punched the button to the "pre out". No matter as I was told (my knowledgable friends) the notes were clean and clear in the house. The other band that night had full range sonic MUD on the bottom all night. But they had their own sound guy on the same board as we used, the difference being we used the house board man. What a difference a good sound man makes!:)
  2. didier

Aug 4, 2005

And that sure does work the other way, too! So don't get too used to it :crying: , and I know you already know but its probably worth mentioning that it is great and always appreciated in turn if you let them know they are appreciated.

ps- That's a nice size gig to start out with aftr a long break!
  3. xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Yes, all of the crew were thanked. This gig was a dream come true for me. I thought I was going to have a panic attack or something, but we had a great looking gal on stage who took all the heat if you know what I mean.:D It was almost comical. 90% of the eyes were on her! It really is harder to play for 20 people than 1000. Now I can't wait to get out again.
  4. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Yep... what sounds great through your speakers doesn't necessarily sound great going through the main PA system.