Tried a $600 Meisel....

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Greywoulf, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Finally got enough strength back from this $#*@$% flu to get out of the house and into the car for a bit! Went to a music store 30 miles away where they had a repaired 3/4 Meisel ex-rental for sale for $600...
    Nah. Not for me... The neck was cracked horizontally across the part that sits on the top, the neck also was re-glued rather sloppily at the lower shoulder joints, the fingerboard was streaked white with wear, and the top of the fingerboard was also sloppily reglued back into the neck up by the scroll, making it stick out a little further than it should be! (And when I tried to play this bass, it was so low in volume you could hardly hear it! Prolly dead strings...)

I would rather pay more for a newer one than deal with all those problems... Plus, I found the neck to be a bit thick and chunky for my smallish hands; I think I need to stay with my idea of a 1/2 size bass, at least as far as Meisel goes anyway. I do hear that the Strunal and the Christopher have thinner necks; I'll be trying them out next...

2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Rentals always get heavily abused. And an improper repair job is common for them. Most companies won't pay to have a properly experienced luthier fix them, either. I can relate to bad rental stuff. Working at the music store, some of the stuff was pretty ragged.
  3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    All of the Meisels I've played, including the one I own, have a really chunky neck. Probably not the best choice for smaller hands.
  4. Did you mention this bass on another thread?