1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tried a couple of Lakland Skylines today:IMPRESSIVE!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Viking, Nov 10, 2006.

1. When I heard that a local store was selling Skylines, I went down to check them out. First up was the 55-02. It had a nice wide neck, just how I like them on a fiver, and felt great. The low B was clear and thunderous and the tone was excellent. Lots of versatility from all the knobs and good sustain.

Next, I tried the Darryl Jones 4 string. Different animal and also very cool with a nice, crisp tone. Only 2 volumes and one tone knob but enough to keep a Jazz bass fan happy.

I noticed that the bridges on both instruments were quite large and wondered if this helps contribute to the nice tone. Both basses were set up well and played great.

Anyway, if I were in the market for a new bass (which I'm not I swear!) these would would be be serious considerations. I see why they get the love they do on this forum.

2. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    YES...I do love my Laklands.....very comfy necks, great tone
    and beautiful!!!!

3. Now try an American Lakland. The 5502's are very nice, but the 5594, ooohhhlala.:D

4. jobo4

jobo4

Apr 19, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Word. The 55-94 is amazing in terms of tone and craftsmanship. I have a 55-02 and think it is one of the best values out there (if over a grand is a value to you;). ) The MM/J config has to be my personal favorite: lot and lots of usable tones.:D

5. I did try a Skyline and an American model when I was at Bass Central but I didn't notice much difference. Then again, i didn't spend a long time with either.

Is it worth it to spend the extra money for the USA model or would it be better to buy 2 Skylines? My local store is supposed to be getting some USAs so I guess I'll have to answer that question myself.

6. jobo4

jobo4

Apr 19, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I would go with two Skylines, but I'm a cheap so-and-so. If I had all the $$ in the world, I'd have a USA Joe, Bob and a 55-94. $7k, however, is currently out of my price range.:crying:

7. i want to try one out, ive never seen one or heard one, same with sadowsky, just to see what all the hype is about.

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

+1, I remember that a local store had a 55-94 that I would come by and play sometimes. It was truly one of the best basses I have ever played. I had a 55-02, which was nice, but it was not a 55-94! BTW, I have not heard the new Lakland pups, but I really loved the 55-94 w/Barts sound anyway.:bassist:

9. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    I prefer the feel of the neck edges on the skylines to the US models.
    Just more comfortable to my hands.....

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

My DPLE 1 JO 4 is one of the best playing and sounding J basses I have played ! [​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

11. Skylines are great. I love my 4401, and actually prefer it to the other models.

e0ae1c96.jpg

12. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    I'd take 2 skyline over the usa. If you set up the DJs on the website the differance in build is the Nut, Flatsawn vs. 1/4 sawn neck, an ocean, and about $2500.00. Although the USA modles have a lot more options for the price I love my skyline.

I like it so much I ordered a Bob Glaub Skyline. Should be here by March. The same goes for the Glaub Bass. Stack em side by side and I don't see a big differance. I don't hear or feel it either. JMHO.

13. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I've got one of the now-discontinued-candy-apple-red colored Skyline Bob Glaubs and it's a great axe.

14. I briefly owned a 5502 and a DJ4... and wow.

Dan sure knows how to run a tight operation. Both basses, while Korean made, were flawless. The inspection they must do in Chicago must be rigorgous, considering even the wood choices were well balanced, and the neck was one of the easiest playing out there.

The DJ especially was astounding. The down-sized body shape as well as the neck were really comfortable, and the carving of the neck pocket for upper-fret access was perfect. Why can't other manufacturers do this? The sound as well was excellent. The Aero single coils were hot! The slap tone was unbelievable with all pots turned to the max, and the finger style tone was great with the tone slightly cut.

I'll stop ranting before I start missing it >.<

Anyway... my new goal for '07 while I go to school is to work a part-time to come up with enough money for a Skyline DJ with Dark Star Pickups ^_^;;

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021